Penalty-drama settles several regional FA Cup ties

Non-league round-up

Emirates FA Cup second qualifying round

The Emirates FA Cup second qualifying round threw up a deluge of drama, including several penalty shootouts to decide the fate of our regional sides.

Goals from Conor Hubble and Elliott Ronto fired Canvey Island inro a two-goal lead against Biggleswade at Park Lane. However, the Gulls required spot-kicks to progress after Sam Johnson and George Bailey hit back for the visitors.

An incredible finale at the Len Salmon Stadium saw Toby Aromolaran fire Essex Senior League side, Hashtag United, into a stoppage-time lead against Braintree Town from the National South.

However, within seconds, Olu Oluwatimilhin levelled from distance – the Iron heading through 7-6 on penalties.

Billericay Town was not so lucky. Jai Reason and Jake Robinson had given the Blues a 2-0 lead at Brackley Town. But Bradley Rolt’s late brace enforced the shootout – Jamie O’Hara’s men going out 4-2.

More penalties at Mayesbrook Park, where Barking went through 3-2 against Kings Langley after the tie had finished 2-2 – Junior Dadson and Michael Dixon on target for the East Londoners. It was the same story at the Wallace Binder Ground where Adam Vyse and a Moroyin Omolabi own-goal registered for Maldon & Tiptree, while Mitchel Hahn and Joe Paxman responded for Grays Athletic – the Jammers going through 5-4 from the shootout.

Alfred Bawling netted twice as Haringey Borough went through by two unanswered goals against Chertsey Town, while Lewwis Spence and Ellis Brown scored early on as Hornchuiurch went through by the same margin in a hard-fought tie at Walthamstow. Ryan Henshaw’s goal just after the hour was enough to get Bishop’s Stortford past Brentwood Town. Stansted’s FA Cup adventure is over after they lost 4-2 at Peterborough Sports

Vanarama National League

Dagenham & Redbridge made a disappointing start to the season as goals from Luke Summerfield and Jack Earing earned hosts, FC Halifax Town all three points at The Shay.

The Pitching In Isthmian League Premier Division

Late goals at the Taydal Stadium where Khris Oti fired Brightlingsea Regent ahead from the penalty spot six minutes from time. However, visitors’ East Thurrock United grabbed a point thanks to a last-minute strike by Phillip Brown-Bahpoe.

The Pitching In Isthmian League North Division

Hullbridge Sports top the table following a 3-0 victory at AFC Sudbury. George Cocklin, Lewis Watson and Joseph Wright on target for Darren Manning’s side.

Great Wakering Rovers also won by three unanswered goals. Jake Pitty, Alex Hernandez and Adebola Sotoyinbo doing the damage against Romford in front of a 171 crowd at Burroughs Park.

Aryton Coley and Matthew Price scored for Coggeshall Town in an exciting 2-2 draw at Felixstowe & Walton United. Meanwhile, Heybridge Swifts endured a tougher afternoon as Dereham Town won 3-0 at the Aspen Waite Arena. Witham Town also slipped to defeat. Greg Akpele’s goal was not enough to prevent a 2-1 reverse to visitors’ Histon.

Essex Senior League

West Essex made significant headway with a resounding 6-0 victory over Southend Manor at Mayesbrook Park on Friday evening – Michael Mignot taking his goal tally for West into three figures.

Only one ESL game on Saturday afternoon. Sawbridgeworth Town and Saffron Walden Town played out a 2-2 draw at a damp Crofters End.

ProKit UK Essex Olympian League

Premier Division

Leigh Ramblers took the points with a 3-1 triumph at Catholic United – Harry Haysom, Ryan Lowe and George Moxon on target for the visitors.

Division One

Snaresbrook edged out Ramsden Scotia by four goals to three, while Chingford Athletic were 4-1 winners at Shoebury Town. Elsewhere, Toby FC and Ongar Town shared the points and four goals at the Fords Sports & Social Club, Newbury Park.

Division Two

Wakering Sports edged out Rochord Town by a Meschack Kisoka goal to nil at Cupids County Club. James Shadwell and Ashley Blackburn netted for Laindon Orient in their 2-2 draw with Ryan FC.

Division Four

Catholic United Reserves were the big winners of the day, thrashing Old Chelmsfordians second string by nine goals to nil. Laindon Orient Reserves won 2-0 at their AFC Shenfield counterparts, while Hashtag United development were 4-2 winners over Galleywood Reserves.

Division Five

Only one game in Division Five. Old Barkabbeyans saw off Bishop’s Stortford Swifts Reserves by three goals to nil.

Senior League Cup

Highlights from the Senor League Cup saw Rayleigh Town win 5-0 at Lakeside United, while Beacon Hill Rovers triumphed 6-1 over Wakebury to progress.

Harold Wood Athletic hit three without reply past Kelvedon Hatch, while Bishop’s Stortford Swifts put out Old Southendian by two goals to nil.

Reserve League Cup

Plenty of goals in the Reserve League Cup. Rayleigh Town’s seconds led the way with a 6-0 win over their Runwell Sports counterparts. Old Southendian Reserves beat Wakering Sports ‘A’ by four goals to one, while Springfield Reserves beat Shoebury Town Reserves 3-1.


Brian Jeeves

Email: [email protected]