Peter Dudley’s Essex Senior League round-up

Monday, September 7

Hashtag United 3-1 Hadley

Hashtag made it two wins from two after coming from behind to defeat Hadley at The Len Salmon Stadium. The hosts took the lead after sixteen minutes when Ellis Devereux, son of boss Jay, of course, saw a twenty-five-yard free-kick end up in the top corner to give the hosts the lead, but right on half time, Hadley levelled as Solomon Ofori, who else, slotted home from close range after a corner was not dealt with by the home side. Hadley then grabbed the lead eight minutes into the second period when Luke Jupp set up Shaz Anwar whose effort rebounded back to Jupp who slotted home, however, in the 63rd-minute Hashtag levelled when Harry Honesty sent a cross into the box for Joe Gregory, who had replaced the injured George Smith, to leap highest to head home. And with seven minutes remaining Hashtag netted the winner when a Josh Osude cross went in off a visiting player and handed the hosts a big three points. 

Tuesday, September 8

Cockfosters 1-0 Enfield  

Reece Mosanya’s late winner saw Cockfosters make it two wins from two after it was enough to defeat Enfield at Chalk Lane. The game was goalless until Mosanya’s deflected effort broke the deadlock with eight minutes remaining and sees them second behind Hashtag United on goal difference.

Saffron Walden Town 1-2 West Essex  

West netted twice in the final eleven minutes as they came from behind to take a brilliant win at Catons Lane against Saffron Walden. Walden took a ninth-minute lead when after the visitors had lost the ball cheaply, Craig Calver sent Lewis Francis in on goal and he made no mistake by tucking home, but with eleven minutes remaining the visitors levelled when Callum Bloss played a lovely ball through to Cameron Gray who slotted home. And five minutes later West netted the winner as after Nick Walk was brought down inside the box, Bloss converted the spot-kick and hand the visitors superb three points.

Sawbridgeworth Town 1-1 Clapton  

The points were shared at Crofters as Sawbridgeworth Town and Clapton shared a 1-1 draw. Abdul Shobowale put the Tons ahead after just five minutes but Skeet levelled for the hosts to make sure the game ended all square.

Southend Manor 2-1 Woodford Town 

Manor bounced back from their opening day defeat to record their first win of the new campaign after coming from behind to beat Woodford Town at Southchurch Park. Woodford edged ahead on the half-hour mark when Zain Moreea’s centre found Rigert Rama who slotted home, but Manor levelled three minutes before the break after Matthew Keiller’s header found the net. And with five minutes remaining Manor grabbed a winner as a Ben Allen rocket from twenty-five yards burst the net and handed the hosts a much-needed tonic after their disappointing opening day.

Takeley 3-4 Hoddesdon Town 

Cyrus Babaie betted a second-half hat-trick as Hoddy came from behind to win a topsy-turvy affair at Station Road against Takeley. Jack Gibbs put the visitors ahead but Glenn O’Hanlon then headed home an equaliser before Andre Humphreys netted a screamer to put the hosts ahead, however, Hoddy levelled when Babaie netted his first goal nine minutes into the second period. Babaie then netted again four minutes later to put his side into the lead and then made it 4-2 to the visitors when completing his hat-trick ten minutes from time, and although Takeley did pull one back late on they could not deny the visitors all three points.

Walthamstow 1-2 Stansted  

The Airportmen came from behind to take all three points against Stow at Wadham Lodge. Charncey Dash slotted home an early penalty after ex-Stansted striker Callum Ibe had been brought down inside the box, but the visitors levelled when miscommunication in defence allowed the visitors to poke home at the back post. And Stansted won it when ball whipped in was headed past Mann and it gave the visitors a big win at one of the title favourites.

Wednesday, September 9

Ilford 6-2 Redbridge  

The Foxes bounced back in style from their opening day loss after Juan Cardona netted a hat-trick as they hammered local rivals Redbridge at Cricklefield Stadium. Yemi Adelani put the hosts ahead on seven minutes before Cardona doubled their lead with a brilliant free-kick in the 17th minute, and it was 3-0 to the hosts just a minute later as Cardona grabbed another. Tom Harvey did pull one back for the Motormen from the spot two minutes before the break but with twenty to go Cardona completed his treble to increase Ilford’s lead once again, before Adelani grabbed his second two minutes later to make it five. Redbridge were then reduced to ten men before Fredie Agyemang made it six after just coming on, and although Bailly Hossack put through his own net late on to give Redbridge a second, Ilford were home and hosed by then and picked up a superb three points. 

Sporting Bengal United 0-0 St Margaretsbury

There were no goals at Mile End as Sporting Bengal and St Mags drew a blank in a goalless draw meaning both sides picked up a point, meaning the visitors have drawn their opening two encounters 0-0 whilst it is a first point of the season for the home side. 

Brian Jeeves