Peter Dudley’s Essex Senior League round-up

Friday, September 25

West Essex 2-3 Walthamstow  

Stow recovered from an early two-goal deficit to win a thriller at Mayesbrook Park against West Essex. 

It didn’t take long for the first goal to arrive as a mistake at the back allowed Cameron Gray to give the hosts a second-minute lead before they doubled that lead after Michael Mignot netted a one on one effort in the sixth minute. 

But a remarkable start to this game continued as after Clements saw a shot saved, Callum Ibe poked home the rebound to reduce the deficit after just eight minutes, before the visitors pulled level on the quarter-hour mark when a cross from Ibe was converted at the back post by Scully. And the visitors completed the comeback when Clements was put in on goal and he rolled home superbly eleven minutes before the break to see the visitors lead at half time. Incredibly this proved to be the winning moment as despite plenty of goalmouth action for both sides in the second period no further goals were meaning Stow grabbed the three points to inflict the hosts’ first loss of the campaign and in turn end a run of two straight losses.

Woodford Town 0-2 Redbridge  

George Christou’s first game as Redbridge boss ended with the clubs first win of the new season as they saw off Woodford Town at The Harlow Arena. 

The Motormen grabbed an early lead after 11 minutes through Craig Hall and then doubled their advantage through Terry Amoafu barely a minute into the second period to make sure of the points and hand them a much-needed victory. Defeat for the hosts sees them still without a point after four league outings.

Saturday, September 26

Hadley 1-0 Takeley  

A solitary goal from Luke Alfano gave Hadley all three points at home to Takeley, meaning Hadley are in sixth after two wins from three games whilst Takeley’s tough start continues, no wins from four now and three losses as they sit third bottom

Hoddesdon Town 5-3 Enfield  

Hoody won an eight-goal thriller against Enfield at Lowfield, Craig Tolley put the hosts ahead but Enfield levelled, Liam Mulligan then restored the hosts lead only for the visitors to then tie it up again as the first half ended 2-2. 

Mulligan then restored the hosts lead for a third time before Blue Gallagher struck home to make it 4-2, and it was five when Aiden Critchley netted for the hosts in a strong second-half showing. Enfield did pull a late third back but it’s the third defeat in four now for the visitors who are second bottom, whilst Hoddy take their second win of the season as they slot into eighth.

Ilford 1-1 Saffron Walden Town  

Luke Wilson’s goal ten minutes from time salvaged a point for Walden as they drew at Cricklefield against Ilford. Dimitri Christou’s strike had put Ilford ahead in the first period, but Wilson netted in the 80th minute to see this one end all square, leaving Ilford in 11th and Walden a place above in tenth.

Sawbridgeworth Town 2-4 Hashtag United 

Joe Gregory’s brace helped Hashtag United keep up their 100% start to the season after seeing off a strong and spirited Sawbridgeworth Town at Crofters. 

Horace Ormsby put the hosts into an early lead before Gregory levelled soon after, and then Thomas Anderson gave the visitors the lead to see them go into the break ahead. Cabham Clarke then brought Sawbo level but the Tags kept going and managed to restore their lead with seventeen minutes remaining as Gregory grabbed his second before Harry Honesty sealed the points with eight minutes to go. 

Hashtag are now second on goal difference with maximum points whilst Sawbo sit fourth after their first league defeat of the season.

Sporting Bengal United 0-2 Cockfosters 

Cockfosters brilliant start to the season continued as they made it four wins from four after victory at Mile End versus Sporting Bengal United. Both goals came in the first quarter of the contest as Carl Mullings netted on 2 and 21 minutes to hand the visitors the points, whilst defeat for Sporting leaves them down in 13th place)

St Margaretsbury 3-3 Clapton  

St Mags produced an astonishing comeback to deny The Tons what looked a certain three points after a second-half brace from Kyle Roberts and one from Jake Hayden-Eley saw the home side came back from 0-3 down at the break to earn a 3-3 draw at The Rec. 

Ridwan Hussein had given the visitors then lead and they then added another before Matthew Bentley made it three in first-half stoppage time and the visitors must have thought they were nailed on for their first league win of the campaign. But an extraordinary last half hour saw the hosts fight back and earn an unlikely point, leaving St Mags in 14th and The Tons a place below in 15th.

Stansted 5-0 Southend Manor  

The Airportmen continued a good start to the season by thrashing Southend Manor at Hargrave Park. 

Greg Moorse put the hosts ahead early on before Mike Salako doubled that lead late on in the first period. A third goal came before Moorse added another for his second of the contest, and the scoring was completed late on when Ryan Ramsey netted a fifth for the hosts, meaning they sit third with three wins from four, whilst for Manor defeat sees them slip to ninth

Brian Jeeves

Email: [email protected]