Peter Dudley’s FA Vase round-up

Buildbase FA Vase First Qualifying Round

Friday, September 18

Barkingside 1-3 Coggeshall United 

Coggeshall United are through to the next round after they saw of Barkingside at Cricklefield. Matangi put the visitors in front before the lead was doubled by Owuadey, and although Side pulled one back through Reece Simpson with fifteen minutes remaining, a second goal from Owuadey sealed the Weavers passage into the next round – Coggeshall United host Sporting Bengal United in next round

Saturday, September 19

Athletic Newham 0-1 Wormley Rovers 

Kane Lowe netted the only goal of the game as Wormley Rovers dumped Athletic Newham out of the Vase ­– Wormley Rovers travel to Hashtag United in next round

Brimsdown 2-4 Clapton 

The Tons bounced back from their mauling at Cockfosters in midweek to see of Eastern Senior South side Brimsdown to reach the next round of the Vase. The hosts, who also shipped eight last time out, did net through Hayes Thomas and Jermaine Drewett-Baptiste but it wasn’t enough to prevent them from crashing out of the competition against their higher league opponents who saw goals from Daniel Emovon, Singui Nicki Dembele, Kyle Thompson and an own goal take them through – Clapton travel to Potton United in the next round

Colney Heath 0-0 Wivenhoe Town (pens 4-2)  

The Dragons are out of the Vase after they suffered penalty shoot-out heartache at Colney Heath after the sides had played out a goalless draw. A very decent effort from Gary Monti’s side considering they have lost all three games in the league this season and Heath were two from two and second in the Spartan South Midlands Premier

Frenford 2-4 Newbury Forest 

Newbury Forest terrific start to the season continued as they dumped Frenford out of the Vase after netting four at The Drive. Umeh put the hosts ahead midway through the first period but Forest managed to level through an own goal only a few minutes later, and then just past the hour mark the visitors won a penalty which resulted in a red card for the hosts for handball, and Forest duly netted the spot-kick to take the lead. Jones though brought Frenford level midway through the half, but Forest were not to be denied and netted through Andy Adomakoh and Patrick Duggan to take the tie – Newbury Forest host Burnham Ramblers in next round

Hadley 2-0 Hadleigh United 

Hadley put the disappointment of last weekend’s FA Cup loss behind them after they saw goals from Luke Alfano and Alfie Bartram send them through to the next round of the Vase after victory over Hadleigh United at Brickfield Lane – Hadley host Enfield Borough in the next round

Harwich & Parkeston 1-1 Walthamstow (pens 4-5) 

Stow are into the next round after a penalty shoot-out success over Harwich & Parkeston at The Royal Oak. Adam Hampson netted a long-range effort eight minutes before the break to put the Step Six side ahead, and it looked like this would be enough to cause a surprise until a header from Charncey Dash deflected in off Clements in the 90th minutes to take the tie to penalties, and Stow edged through 5-4 in the shoot out to progress – Walthamstow host London Lions in next round

Hashtag United 3-1 Takeley 

Hashtag United defeated Takeley 3-1 for the second time in a week after victory over them in the Vase on Saturday. Ross Gleed gave the hosts the lead on the half-hour before doubling their advantage four minutes later through Harry Honesty after good link-up play with Joe Gregory, and although the visitors slotted under Tim Pitman five minutes into the second period to make it nervy, Hashtag sealed it with fifteen minutes remaining through Honesty, poking home an Albert Keith cross – Hashtag United host Wormley Rovers in next round

Hoddesdon Town 3-2 Langford 

Liam Mulligan netted five minutes into stoppage time to send Hoddesdon Town through to the next round of the Vase. Langford opened the scoring through James Elkington-Soan but Oliver Sharman then levelled, Josh Cliss then restored Langford’s advantage but Harrison Rookard then levelled to see the sides go in 2-2 at the break. And it looked as if it would be penalties until Mulligan popped up with a late late winner for the home side – Hoddesdon Town host Woodford Town in next round

Ilford 5-3 Long Melford 

A brace from Dion Lewis-Kirwan helped see Ilford win an eight-goal contest against Long Melford at Cricklefield to progress. Callum Hemson gave the visitors an early lead but Lewis-Kirwan powered home a header on 15 minutes to get The Foxes back level and that is how it stayed to half time. Ilford then grabbed the lead two minutes into the second period after a low drive from Dimi Christou, but a brilliant free-kick from Kieran Michaels restored parity, but Lewis-Kirwan and then Bailey Hossack then netted for the hosts in two minutes to see The Foxes open up a 4-2 advantage. And it was five goals in eighteen second-half minutes when Yemi Adelani made it 5-2 twenty minutes into the second half, and although Michaels added his second for the visitors to make it 5-3 with fifteen to go, it was too little too late as the hosts progressed – Ilford host Benfleet in the next round

Little Oakley 2-1 Stotfold 

Harry Mann and Greg Rodger netted for Oakley as they saw off Stotfold to progress into the next round of the Vase as the home sides brilliant start to the season continued – Little Oakley travel to May & Baker in next round

Redbridge 1-3 May & Baker 

May & Baker piled on more misery for The Motormen after they dumped them out of the Vase at Oakside. Eddy Cooper put the visitors ahead after just six minutes before Henry Osei doubled that lead in the 26th minute, Redbridge did pull one back six minutes later when Dickens netted, but Bakers restored their two-goal cushion when Osei netted again right on half time. Johnson was sent off for the hosts giving away a 65th-minute spot-kick, which was missed by the visitors, and it was ten Vs ten for the final few minutes when Jake Piper was shown a straight red, but it’s May & Baker who progressed. Redbridge announced George Christou as their new manager this week and brings both his long-term coaches from Aveley Reserves in Jack Toghil and Loul Hazelwood into the setup, they have much work to do – May & Baker host Little Oakley in next round

Saffron Walden Town 3-3 Whitton United (pens 1-4) 

Walden crashed out in the cruelist way after a penalty shoot-out defeat at the hands of Whitton United at Catons Lane. Lewis Francis gave the hosts a 15th-minute lead, but Thomas Bradlaugh levelled right on half time, Craig Calver restored the hosts lead just before the hour mark, but Reese Dobson again brought Whitton level with just under fifteen minutes to go. Gavin Cockman looked to have won it for The Bloods with nine minutes left but in the second minute of added-on time George Day broke Walden hearts by levelling the tie and taking it to penalties, and the visitors dominated the shoot out to progress into the next round.

Southend Manor 0-1 Cockfosters 

Fosters netted with five minutes to go to knock Southend Manor out of the Vase at Southchurch Park. The winning moment came when a corner in by Mosanya was nodded in at the back post by Pojoby and it was enough to settle this contest – Cockfosters travel to Park View in the next round

Sporting Bengal United 3-3 Sawbridgeworth Town (pens 4-2) 

Sporting Bengal United are the comeback kings of the week as after their incredible comeback at Oakside in midweek they came from 3-1 down at Crofters (the tie was switched there) to force penalties before winning the shoot out to knock Sawbridgeworth Town out of the Vase. Chaka Barnett gave Sporting a tenth-minute lead but two goals from Jake Skeet and one from Conor Clarke had The Robins 3-1 up and seemingly heading through to the next round. But amazingly Barnett netted twice in the final few minutes to complete his hat-trick and send the tie to penalties, and Sporting won out in the shoot-out 4-2 to progress – Sporting Bengal United travel to Coggeshall United in next round

St Margaretsbury 1-1 London Colney (pens 5-6) 

St Mags crashed out of the FA Vase after a penalty shootout defeat to London Colney at The Recreation Ground. Issouf Coulibaly gave the visitors the half time lead but the hosts saw substitute Dominic Wynter level in the second period and take the tie to penalty kicks, but the hosts lost out 6-5 in the shootout

Sunday, September 20

Hackney Wick 0-1 Halstead Town 

Jordan Pavett’s 42nd-minute free-kick was enough for Halstead Town to progress with victory at Spa Road against Hackney Wick. Pavett hit a low strike around the wall and in at the near post three minutes before the break and it proved enough – Halstead Town travel to Baldock Town in next round

Holland 2-0 Enfield 

Two goals in the final twenty minutes saw Holland dump Enfield out of the Vase at Dulwich Road. The hosts poked in after Wilmot failed to gather with 73 minutes on the clock, and three minutes later a corner went straight in to seal the host’s passage to the next round – Holland host Colney Heath in next round

West Essex 8-1 Haverhill Borough 

Michael Mignot netted a hat-trick for hosts West Essex as they thumped Haverhill Borough at Mayesbrook Park to progress in the Vase. Cam Gray slotted the hosts ahead after ten minutes before Emmanuel Oluwole nodded home five minutes later for number two, Joe Lefley then curled home a lovely free-kick to make it three ten minutes before the break, and it was 4-0 on half time when Mignot netted a brilliant individual effort. The visitors pulled one back a minute into the second period but West added a fifth twenty minutes into the half as Mignot converted before he completed his treble twenty minutes from time. Hakim Medfai then rounded the keeper to slot home number seven with twelve to go and the scoring was complete when Isaac Marfo-Jacobs converted to complete a good day at the office) – West Essex host Haverhill Rovers in next round


Brian Jeeves

Email: [email protected]