- SPECIAL REPORT – Part 1: Southend ‘sex ring’ victim says ‘heads should roll’ after paedophile ‘informant’ was set free to molest more children - 23/12/2019
- SPECIAL REPORT – Part 2: ‘Shoebury Sex Ring’ victim breaks 30-year silence to detail horrific web of abuse - 23/12/2019
- Rochford woman wins public vote for Essex Sports Personality of the Year - 11/12/2019
A developer is hoping to build four new homes on a plot previously occupied by just one, attracting almost one hundred objections from residents.
The plans for Underwood Square in Leigh have been slammed by council officers who have labelled it as “poorly designed” and warn it will have a “detrimental impact” on the surrounding area.
The council has also received 16 letters of objection and a petition against it signed by 80 people.
Among a raft of concerns raised by the residents is the lack of parking in the area, the possibility of congestion and the “overbearing” design.
Other objections have come the Essex Badger Protection Group due to potential inaccuracies in a wildlife survey, and Leigh Town Council which complains about the development’s “design, bulk and mass size”
The developer wants to build four semi-detached properties on the site which is designated as protected green space and includes large oak trees on the boundary of the site which are protected by a tree preservation order.
Over the past two years, four planning applications to build on the site have been submitted to the council and three of the four applications were refused.
Among them was a 2017 plan which had similarities to the latest application, including looking to build four properties.
When that application was refused, the developer appealed the decision arguing that the council was incorrect to say it would impact on the character and appearance of the area, as well as neighbouring properties. The planning inspectorate sided with the council and concluded that the development would have “undue impact” that would be “harmful” to the area.
In a council report ahead of a Development Committee on Wednesday, council officer have said that councillor should vote to refuse the application.
They state in their report: “The proposed development, by reason of its poorly designed and contrived forecourt parking layout, and in particular the extent of hardstanding proposed and lack of space for soft landscaping, would have a detrimental impact on the character and appearance of the site and the wider streetscene.”
Councillors will decide whether to grant planning permission at a meeting on Wednesday afternoon.