Redbridge man sentenced following rape conviction

An east London man who repeatedly raped a woman has been jailed.

Hafiz Ahmad, 29, of Redbridge was sentenced to 11 years’ imprisonment on Thursday March 28 at Snaresbrook Crown Court.

He was convicted at the same court on October 11 2023 having been found guilty of rape and making threats to kill.

Met detectives launched an investigation after a woman came forward on November 13 2020 to report that she had been raped by a man on four occasions.

Because the attacks happened at Ahmad’s house there was limited evidence during the early stage of the investigation. However, specially trained officers spoke at length to the victim-survivor and she told them how she had suffered a campaign of abuse which had started in 2018.

Officers acted quickly and Ahmad was arrested on the following day.

Further enquiries were carried out and analysis of text messages showed the victim-survivor had confronted the defendant about the attacks.

The case was submitted to the Crown Prosecution Service and Ahmad was charged in May 2022.

Sexual Offences Officer PC Emma Porter, from the local policing team in east London, said: “The victim has shown amazing courage throughout the investigation.

“It hasn’t been easy for her as she received pressure from the defendant to withdraw her allegations. However, she continued to support the prosecution and this ultimately resulted in Hafiz Ahmad being convicted and jailed.”

Advertisement

Comments