Renewed appeal in connection with fatal shooting in Leyton

Detectives investigating a fatal shooting in Leyton have released images of four people they wish to identify and speak with.

Detective Chief Inspector Mark Wrigley, who is leading the investigation, said: “We need to urgently speak to the people pictured as they may well hold significant information in relation to the death of Grineo Daka.

“Grineo was fatally shot shortly before 3am on Sunday, July 7, at Phoenix Snooker Club on Lea Bridge Road, E10.

“If you are one of the people in these images, or if you recognise them, please come forward as soon as possible.

“We understand that Grineo and two other men had gone to the snooker club. The victim was then involved in an altercation with another group and a number of shots were fired.

“A man has lost his life, while two others were injured. We need the community to support us and help bring those responsible to justice.

“I would appeal to anyone who was in or near the Phoenix Club to pick up the phone and call police now. Anyone with information can contact the incident room, where detectives are ready to support you and take your call.”

Anyone with information can contact detectives at the incident room on 020 8345 3715 or via 101. You can also contact police via Twitter @MetCC, please quote Cad 1438/07Jul. 

Police were called to the Phoenix Club shortly before 3am on Sunday, July 7 to reports of gunshots.

Officers, including firearms officers, attended and found 27-year-old Grineo, who was from Stratford, suffering from a gunshot injury.

He was pronounced dead at the scene.

A post-mortem examination took place at Walthamstow mortuary on Tuesday, July 9 and gave the cause of death as a single gunshot.

Detectives have made a number of arrests in connection with the inquiry.

A 29-year-old man was charged on Tuesday, July 16 with murder, possession of a firearm and causing grievous bodily harm with intent.

A 26-year-old-man arrested on suspicion of murder shortly after the shooting, and a 21-year-old-man [B] who was also arrested on Sunday, July 7, were later released with no further action.

A 33-year-old-man who was arrested on suspicion of murder at Heathrow Airport on Sunday, July 7 has been released under investigation.

On Wednesday, July, 10, a 34-year-old-man [D] was arrested on suspicion of murder and a 27-year-old-woman [F] was arrested on suspicion of assisting an offender. They have both been released under investigation.

Detectives from the Specialist Crime Command continue to lead the investigation. 

If you do not wish to speak with police, you can call the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 or contact them anonymously online at

Additionally, any young people who have information about violence can visit where they can pass on information anonymously.

Fearless is part of the Crimestoppers charity, and is also independent of the police.


Mick Ferris

Editor Email: