Residents furious after Southend Council reveals 18 homes could be built on Lundy Close

Residents have slammed Southend Council for housing plans that could see up to 18 homes built on an estate which they claim is plagued with parking issues.

For more than a year the residents of Lundy Close, near to Southend Airport, have been urging the council not to move ahead with plans to build affordable homes on three plots of green space near to their homes.

But the council is under pressure from the Government to deliver thousands of new homes over the next 10 years and has revealed it is considering building up to 18 council homes across the three sites.

Laura Newman who has led a campaign against house building on Lundy Close accused the authority of lying in a council report which states “there is ongoing consultation with affected residents in Lundy Close”.

She said: “We already have parking issues on the estate, this will only increase that issue further.

“The council says residents have been consulted along the way – no we haven’t. Not at all.

“One council consultation was held where the views of residents on the estate, and surrounding areas were made clear.

“Also, a petition was signed in and around the area to oppose the build and it was only due to an article in the Echo that residents found out an architect had been appointed.

“What a lot of lies the council is yet again putting out there to residents.”

She added that residents want the council to hold a face to face meeting with the residents of Lundy Close and the surrounding area but they “will still keep up the fight”.

Options for housing on the site will be discussed by the council’s cabinet next week. This will include a “preferred option” which would see between nine and 12 council homes being built, as well as an option to build 18.

Council leader Ian Gilbert said the development is part of a land review project approved by the council in January 2019 and forms a vital part of the council’s housing strategy.

He continued: “We are aware of the concerns raised by local residents at the initial consultation stage about this site, many of whom use part of the three pieces of land for leisure activities such as dog walking and playing with their children.

“We have listened to those concerns and that is why our preferred option for a smaller number of new homes is being presented.

“We feel this option strikes a balance between keeping green space readily available for residents, whilst also working towards the incredibly challenging Government targets for house building and delivering more council housing across the borough.”

He added: “Moving forwards, ward members and local residents will continue to be fully engaged in the project.”

The plans will be discussed further at a cabinet meeting on Tuesday.

Subscribe to get your latest local news articles by email each day...

Or click here to subscribe to our weekly digital edition. Your details will be stored to support your experience in line with our privacy policy.
Advertisement

Steve Shaw

Local Democracy Reporter