Resolute Daggers pull further clear of the dropzone

Non-league round-up

Vanarama National League

Dagenham & Redbridge moved three points clear of the relegation zone following a resolute performance at another improving side, Wrexham.

Alex Reid went close to handing the Daggers a notable victory midway through the second half. However, the eventual goalless draw meant its now three successive clean sheets for Daryl McMahon’s men who remain in twentieth place.

Vanarama National League South

Chelmsford City started life without Rod Stringer with a 5-3 defeat at Dulwich Hamlet. Sam Higgins scored twice for the Clarets, while Chris Whelpdale was also on target – they slip to eleventh.

Braintree Town picked up a point from a 1-1 draw with high-flying Weymouth at Cressing Road. Liam Smyth gave the Iron the lead before Yemi Odubade levelled for the Terras ten minutes from time.

Concord Rangers also earned a share of the spoils following a goalless draw with Havant & Waterlooville at the Aspect Arena.

BetVictor Isthmian League Premier Division

Hornchurch maintained the push for a play-off place with a resounding 4-0 victory over Enfield Town at Bridge Avenue. Chris Dickson, Adam Cunnington, Mickey Parcell and Jordan Clark all finding the net in the opening 35 minutes for the Urchins.

Danny Norton fired Bowers & Pitsea ahead at Haringey Borough, only for Anthony Mcdonald to salvage a point for the hosts two minutes from time. Meanwhile, Brightlingsea Regent remain in the relegation zone following a 0-0 draw with Potter Bar Town.

Elsewhere, East Thurrock United’s play-off aspirations were hit as second-placed Folkestone Invicta won 3-1 at Rookery Hill – Frankie Merrifield with a late consolation for the home side.

BetVictor Isthmian League North Division

Heybridge Swifts remain top after a 2-0 win at Soham Town Rangers. Evans Kouassi and an Alex Teniolaspot-kick enough for the visitors. Aveley are in second after a 1-1 draw at Histon – Shad Ngandu on target for the Millers.

Maldon & Tiptree in third has as many as seven games in hand over the leaders. They maintained their title challenge with a 6-2 thrashing of Felixstow & Walton United. Jorome Slew scored twice for the Jammers, while Charlee Hughes, Ryan Charles, Hamza Kaid and a Samuel Nunn own-goal completed the rout.

Coggeshall Town maintained their push for a top-five finish after late goals from Joshua Pollard and Nnamdi Nwachuku saw them come from behind to beat Cambridge City. They are a point ahead of Great Wakering Rovers, who had Jake Gordon to thank for hitting the only goal of the game at Witham Town.

A big derby clash at Parkside saw Grays Athletic and Romford play out a hard-fought goalless draw. Romford remains bottom though, eight points from safety.

Essex Senior League

Leaders Saffron Walden Town saw their title hopes dented as Enfield snatched a single-goal success at Crofters End.

Hashtag United moved a point closer after a 2-2 draw with Takeley, while Stansted are sixth following their 3-2 win over West Essex.

A single goal was enough for Southend Manor to see off Hoddesdon Town at Southchurch Park, while Sporting Bengal United won their derby with Tower Hamlets by two goals to nil at the Mile End Stadium.

Action on Friday evening saw Clapton hammer hosts Redbridge by seven goals to two.

Errington Challenge Cup

Walthamstow found themselves crashing out of the Errington Cup as
Ceykan Karagozlu and Harley Haag scored the decisive goals for Cockfosters in a 2-0 success at Kitchener Road.

ProKit UK Essex Olympian League

Premier Division leaders, Sungate, continued their title charge with a 1-0 win over Canning Town. Catholic United are now second following a 2-1 success over previous occupants, Leigh Ramblers.

Kelvedon Hatch won an entertaining encounter at Basildon Town by four goals to three, while Springfield edged out Bishop’s Stortford Swifts by the odd goal in five.

Old Southendian continued to climb away from the foot of the table following a 1-1 draw with Harold Wood Athletic at Garon Park.

In Division One, Old Chelmsfordians were the big winners of the day, hitting seven without reply past Toby FC. Incredibly, every other game in the division ended 4-1.

Lakeside took the points against visitors, Galleywood, while another home winner was Ongar Town who saw off Herongate Athletic. Victors on the road by that margin were Ramsden Scotia, who beat Manford way, and Rayleigh Town Reserves, who dispatched Shoebury Town.

Only two matches in Division Two. Laindon Orient won by two unanswered goals at May & Baker Eastbrook Community Reserves, meanwhile, Rochford Town won by three goals to two at Ryan FC.

ACD United and Wakebury drew 2-2 as the top two went head-to-head at the Westlands Playing Fields. Toby Reserves saw off their Buckhurst Hill counterparts by five goals to two, while Basildon Town’s second string won by two unanswered goals at White Ensign Reserves.

Roydon were the big winners in Division Four, beating Forest Glade 5-1. Canning Town seconds were 3-1 winners at Galleywood Reserves, while Ongar Town’s second string edged out Chingford Athletic Development by the odd goal in three.

There was an entertaining encounter at Cupids where Wakering Sports Reserves and Catholic United Reserves shared six goals.

Division Five leaders, Bishop’s Stortford Swifts Reserves needed just a single goal to overcome Newbury Forest Reserves. Herongate Athletic Reserves won 3-0 against Leigh Ramblers seconds, while Old Barkabbeyans won a five-goal thriller with Runwell Sports Reserves at Barking Abbey Comprehensive School. Collier Row Reserves also claimed maximum points after seeing off Roydon seconds by two goals to nil.

Essex Premier Cup

Buckhurst Hill made progress with a 6-1 hammering of Gas Recreation. Leigh Town were 2-0 winner over Corinthians, while Chingford Athletic needed penalties to advance after their match with West Bergholt ended 2-2.

Anagram Records Trophy

Hutton advanced following a narrow 2-1 win over FGC Hamlets at Woodlands School.


Brian Jeeves