Second-half strike dents Daggers

Dagenham & Redbridge v FC Halifax Town – Vanarama National League – Chigwell Construction Stadium – Report

Dagenham & Redbridge 0-1 FC Halifax Town 1 

Andrew Oluwabori’s fifty-fifth-minute strike was enough to see FC Halifax Town secure the points in a 1-0 win over Dagenham & Redbridge at the Chigwell Construction Stadium.   

Ben Strevens made one change to his starting line-up following the Daggers 2-2 draw at Bromley with Elliot Johnson replacing the injured Frank Vincent.

Daggers went close two minutes after the start when Josh Rees laid the ball off to Dion Pereira, to shoot inches wide of the far post and shortly after, Rees was again the playmaker – setting up Ryan Hill to fire a curling effort just over the crossbar.

With Daggers continuing to mount pressure on Halifax, keeper Sam Johnson was called into action to deny both Pereira and Tom Eastman, whilst the Shaymen’s first real chance of the game came shortly before the break when following a corner and a scramble in the box, Nik Tavares was able to turn the ball behind to clear the impending danger. 

Ten minutes after the break, Oluwabori’s powerful strike from just outside the area into the top corner of the net put Halifax one up. 

With Daggers pushing forward in search of an equaliser, Tavares run from inside his own half into the opposition penalty area and set up Shiloh Remy to shoot wide of the far post.

With just ten minutes remaining, Tom Eastman headed Pereira’s corner against the upright only to then see his effort following up well saved by Johnson.

Rees and Eastman both had chances near the end but with Johnson in spectacular form throughout and their defensive line equal to all Daggers could throw at them, Halifax held on to take the three points to ensure their play-off hopes continue to stay well on track.

Next up for Dagenham & Redbridge in the Vanarama National League is the visit of Altrincham to the Chigwell Construction Stadium next Saturday. 

Dagenham & Redbridge: Justham (Capt) Ling, Eastman, Tavares, Johnson (Phipps 82’) Appiah-Forson (Kedwell 60’) Hessenthaler, Pereira, Rees, Hill, Sears (Remy 60’) Subs not used: Page & Lawless

FC Halifax Town: Johnson, Golden, Hunter, Stott, Summerfield, Evans, Senior, Hoti (Cosgrave 72′) Wright, Oluwabori (Jenkins 79′) George (Harker 46’) Subs not used: Thompson-Sommers, Wilson

Referee: Richard Aspinall

Assistants: Laurentiu Nantea and James Hurst

Fourth Official: Charles Martland

Attendance: 2,720 (103 from FC Halifax Town)