Two east London hospitals are no longer allowing visitors under 18 to limit the spread of coronavirus.
The NHS trust for King George Hospital in Ilford and Queen’s Hospital in Romford, where two patients have died after contracting the virus, has introduced temporary visitor restrictions.
These restrictions, which have come into effect immediately, are intended to protect those most vulnerable to the virus.
The guidance states: “On wards where we have patients with suspected coronavirus, one visitor will be allowed per patient.
“Visitors will be given protective equipment to wear while on the ward.
“On the remainder of our wards, we will be enforcing our policy of two visitors per patient.”
The trust has also said that only parents will be allowed to visit the neonatal intensive care unit and all children’s wards.
The restrictions will not apply to those who are receiving end of life care at the hospital and ward managers may consider other exceptions.
Yesterday, (Sunday, March 15), a woman in her 70s became the second person at Queen’s to die after contracting COVID-19.
Tony Chambers, interim Chief Executive of Barking, Havering and Redbridge University Hospitals NHS Trust said: “We can confirm that a patient, who was 72, and who tested positive for COVID-19 has sadly died at Queen’s hospital.
“She had been very unwell with significant other health conditions.
“Our thoughts and condolences are with the patient’s family at what is undoubtedly a very distressing time. We ask that the family’s privacy is respected at this time.”
The trust has also decided to postpone some routine surgeries while it deals with the pandemic.
Cancer, day cases and emergency surgeries will go ahead as normal.