- Men charged after burglaries in east Tilbury - 13/04/2021
- Southend teenager charged with drug offences - 13/04/2021
- Police appeal after power drill thefts in Basildon - 13/04/2021
Southend residents are being urged to ‘Shop Local’ to support the borough’s retail and business sector.
Southend Council has launched the ‘Shop Local, Shop Southend-on-Sea’ campaign, to highlight and promote the wealth of local businesses the borough’s shopping districts have to offer.
The council plans to run the media campaign through to Christmas and possibly extend it into the spring of 2021.
As part of ‘Shop Local, Shop Southend-on-Sea’, the council:
- has produced a set of ‘Shop Local, Shop Southend-on-Sea’ digital assets. This includes a short video showcasing the shopping offers across the borough, localised posters referencing key shopping areas and digital toolkits for social media. All posters are available digitally and can be downloaded for display by businesses
- plans to run the media campaign through to Christmas and possibly extend it into the spring of 2021
- plans to incorporate national Small Business Saturday UK (December 5) in the campaign, to promote Southend’s independent businesses to a wide audience
- plans to run Southend’s Best Festive Business Competition (from November to Christmas) to generate festival spirit and much needed custom for local retail businesses and all.
The council’s cabinet also agreed earlier this month to extend the buy one-hour, get one-hour free parking scheme aimed at short stay customers until March 31, 2021 in a bid to entice residents and visitors to continue shopping locally and support the economic recovery from COVID-19.
Customers buying a one-hour parking ticket will get their second hour free in all council-owned car parks. The offer only applies to the one-hour parking band, or the two-hour parking band in the Fairheads Green and Gasworks car parks (buy two hours and get one hour free).
Councillor Kevin Robinson, cabinet member for business, culture and tourism said: “We have a fantastic array of local, independent shops here in Southend that complement our national chain stores. As we continue with our recovery from Covid-19, it is important that we support our local businesses.
“The campaign is also to support and promote all businesses in Southend-on-Sea, Westcliff-on-Sea, Leigh-on-Sea, Southchurch Village and Thorpe Bay – pubs and eateries, salons and barbers, tradespeople and everything in-between.
“I’m encouraging businesses to use the campaign to actively promote themselves and urge customers to support our businesses by sharing their great local shopping experiences using hashtags #shoplocal #shopsouthend.”
For more information on the campaign visit: https://www.visitsouthend.co.uk/shopping/shoplocal.aspx