Southend sex attacker gets indefinite hospital order

Mick Ferris

A man who sexually assaulted three women in the Southend area over the space of three days last year has been sentenced to a hospital order with no restriction of time.

Albert Stone attacked the women between March 31 and April 2 last year.

In the first incident he attacked a woman as she was power walking by the cliff steps at the Cliff’s Pavilion. She shouted at him and continued on her walk.

The following day he assaulted a woman who had stopped to pick something up while out walking in the Southend area.

Then the day after that, he attacked a woman as she walked through Chalkwell Park.

He forced her to the ground but ran off after she kicked out at him and screamed for help.

Each woman was able to give a good description of the 30 year-old meaning police were able to link the incidents.

He was arrested shortly after the third incident when officers carried out a search of the area.

Stone, of no fixed address, was charged with one count of assault by penetration and three counts of sexual assault and, despite denying the charges, was found guilty on Friday July 23 following a trial at Basildon Crown Court.

At the same court on Monday October 4 he was sentenced to an indefinite hospital order.

Investigating officer Detective Constable Gary Fernon, from the Adult Sexual Assault Investigation Team, said: “I want to praise the bravery of the women Albert Stone attacked. These would have been terrifying incidents and they have shown incredible courage.

“Their descriptions of Stone were vital to us being able to link the attacks and identifying him.

“Albert Stone poses a danger to women and I am pleased he is now behind bars no longer in a position to do so.

“He is a sexual predator who targeted women on their own during the national lockdown, knowing there would be few witnesses to the attacks.

“He showed no remorse for the attacks and Essex is safer now he indeterminately detained.”


Mick Ferris

Editor Email: