Stalker pleads guilty after Met detectives use analytical software in investigative first

A stalker has pleaded guilty after Met detectives used analytical software to evidence his every move.

Anhar Hussain, 23, of Review Road, Dagenham pleaded guilty to arson, harassment – fear of violence, dangerous driving and driving whilst disqualified and without insurance on Monday November 21 at Snaresbrook Crown Court.

He has been remanded in custody and will be sentenced at the same court on Monday December 19.

Detectives from the East Area Basic Command Unit (BCU) used analytical software for the first time in this type of case, to map out phone signals from any given location. This, in conjunction with other communications and travel data, allowed detectives to map out and detect Hussain’s stalking patterns. This data enabled officers to quickly evidence his stalking and coercive behaviour which took place between April and June 2022.

The victim, a woman in her 20s began a relationship with Hussain in 2020. Their relationship began to deteriorate from March 2021. At one point, following a heated argument, he posted nude photos of the victim online and to her family. He cropped himself out of the photos. This sparked outrage between Hussain and the victim and her family, due to cultural and personal beliefs.

In April 2021, Hussain created a fake social media account in the victim’s name and started communicating with her family. At this time, the victim was no longer in contact with her family and only found out about this in April 2022 when she spoke with her mother.

The victim was told to leave her family home following Hussain’s behaviour. She moved to an address in Romford with Hussain, where he subjected her to controlling coercive behaviour.

During arguments, he would shout and scream into her face, punch walls near to her, throw household objects, including a laptop in her direction, pull and push her about the house and throw her onto the sofa. There was only one set of keys to their property which Hussain would keep possession of at all times. He would keep her locked in the property when he went out and could also track her whenever she left the flat as there was a video doorbell which he had access to.

On another occasion Hussain threw the victim’s clothes out of the flat and then went outside and proceeded to set them on fire. The victim tried to retrieve them but he lifted her up and tried to force her into his car. She shouted loudly and he dropped her, enabling her to run away. She eventually moved to another address.

From this point, Hussain began to harass the victim by constantly calling her. He called her more than 700 times a day, some were overheard by a friend. During one call he threatened to throw a brick at the victim’s mother’s house. These calls were during unsociable hours so he could find out where she was residing. He called to tell her he was parked outside, he then said if she did not come out, other people would get hurt.

He also proceeded to manipulate her in an attempt to get her to return. He would send her photos of him crying, cleaning the house and doing the laundry to try to entice her back. When this failed he began to stalk her.

It was a long ordeal for the woman, having suffered abuse of all kinds at the hands of Hussain. Her relationships with her friends and family were destroyed, her ability to work and financial prospects hindered.

Hussain had no regard for her safety, or other members of the public. He met her to give her belongings back after the end of their relationship. However, when her phone connected to his car’s Bluetooth he heard a male on the line to her and he lost control. He reversed his vehicle at speed into her vehicle several times in a public car park, writing it off in the process. He did not care if anyone was watching. He was at the time of the incident, disqualified from driving.

Investigating officer PC Cathleeya Kittisara, said: “The victim in this case has showed sheer courage and unwavering strength throughout the past six months. I have the utmost respect for her and appreciate the patience and the support she has given police during this protracted enquiry. She has moved from her position of loss of faith, to now attempting to move on, with her perpetrator no longer harming her.

Having been bailed twice, he showed no regard for our justice system and continued to harass, threaten and cause distress to the victim in every possible way.

“It has undoubtedly been a huge challenge for her, facing turmoil in her relationships with her family, whilst all the while being tortured physically and emotionally, and in fear for her life.”

Head of Public Protection for the East Area Command Unit, Detective Superintendent Lewis Basford, said: “The introduction of analytical software that can cleanse and manage big data from electronic devices such as mobile phones and computers allows my officers to self-analyse within seconds of inputting it.”

Mick Ferris

Editor Email: