Latest posts by Charles Thomson (see all)
- SPECIAL REPORT – Part 1: Southend ‘sex ring’ victim says ‘heads should roll’ after paedophile ‘informant’ was set free to molest more children - 23/12/2019
- SPECIAL REPORT – Part 2: ‘Shoebury Sex Ring’ victim breaks 30-year silence to detail horrific web of abuse - 23/12/2019
- Rochford woman wins public vote for Essex Sports Personality of the Year - 11/12/2019
THREE people had to receive medical treatment on Sunday after an early morning house fire in Billericay.
A woman had become trapped upstairs and had to be rescued by firefighters.
The ambulance service said it had transported three people to Basildon Hospital for treatment, but refused to say what injuries or symptoms they were treated for.
The Essex fire service said the incident demonstrated why all households should have smoke alarms.
The fire brigade was called to Outwood Common Road at 5.23am on Sunday, September 15, and dispatched four fire crews – from Brentwood, Billericay and Basildon.
The ambulance service was called four minutes later and sent an ambulance, a rapid response vehicle and an ambulance officer.
When the first firefighters arrived, they found the ground floor 30 per cent alight and the property 100 per cent smoke-logged.
A service spokesman said: “They confirmed that two males had escaped from the house and worked quickly to rescue a female trapped on the top floor.”
The fire was extinguished by just after 6am.
Incident commander Craig McLellan said: “Unfortunately, the house had no working smoke alarms, meaning there was a delay in the fire being discovered and the fire service being called out.
“If you’re asleep, or in another room, you need that alarm to alert you to the first sign of a fire, so that you can get out, stay out and call 999.”
An investigation concluded that the fire was started accidentally, but no further details were given.
* To arrange for the fire service to fit smoke alarms in your home for free, dial 0300 303 0088.