Latest posts by Mick Ferris (see all)
- Dunton Hills a ‘breach of green belt planning principles’ argues councillor - 25/01/2020
- It happened today – this day in history – January 25 - 25/01/2020
- Ilford triple stab victims identified - 24/01/2020
FIREFIGHTERS who arrived at a fire in Thurrock this morning believe it had been burning for hours before it was reported.
Two fire crews were rushed to an industrial site in Romford Road, Aveley, after the blaze – in a storage unit – was reported at 6.45am.
But, said Lee Hollingworth, watch manager at Grays fire station, “We estimate the fire had been burning for around four or five hours before it was discovered – so by the time we arrived, it had almost starved itself of oxygen and burned itself out.”
The fire was out and the area made safe by 7.40pm.
A brigade spokesman said: “The contents of the container were mostly destroyed by the fire.”
Investigators believe the 14-square-metre storage unit was set ablaze by an electrical fault.
Mr Hollingworth explained: “We believe the fire started after an extension lead overheated and caught alight to papers and magazines which were placed on top of it.
“It’s important to ensure any areas around leads, plugs and cables are clear and any sockets are not overloaded.”