Toon fightback stuns Hammers

Brian Jeeves

Newcastle United v West Ham United – Premier League – St James Park – Report

Newcastle United 4-3 West Ham United

West Ham United were left stunned after Newcastle United staged an incredible fightback, recovering a 3-1 deficit to record a famous 4-3 Premier League victory at a raucous St James Park.

The Hammers headed to the North-East unbeaten in four league outings. David Moyes recognised the magnitude of continuing that run: “I think it’s a really important game, as they all are now,” the Scotsman explained.

“I think we have nine to play, I think every game’s going to be vitally important to pick us as many points as we possibly can. 

“A few teams are chasing in and around the European spots and we’re one of them.

“We’ve had more games than Newcastle, so I can only comment on ourselves. Has it impacted us? Yeah, it has. I’m sure in some ways it’s impacted Newcastle as well.”

The fixture provided ramifications towards a European berth for both sides. Nevertheless, it was the home side who forged ahead in the sixth minute when Vladimír Coufal fouled Anthony Gordon, allowing Isak the opportunity to find the net from the resulting spot-kick.

But the East Londoners turned the game around before the interval. Michail Antonio restored parity, beating Martin Dúbravka after exchanging passes with Lucas Paquetá.

Moyes’s men took the lead on the stroke of the interval when Mohammed Kudus reacted to a quickly taken free kick from Paquetá to score. Jarrod Bowen played his part. Newcastle were left unhappy, with Fabian Schär still grounded after conceding the initial foul.

Shortly after the restart, West Ham extended their advantage. Bowen steadied himself before dispatching low beyond Dúbravka after Kudus had played him in.

Isak slotted home his second spot-kick of the afternoon to set up a grandstand finish. This after Kalivin Phillips’ challenge on Gordon was investigated by VAR.

Incredibly, Newcastle, now with the momentum, levelled the score when Harvey Barnes beat substitute goalkeeper Lukasz Fabianski with an ice-cool finish.

The home crowd smell blood. Barnes had the bit between his teeth. With time running out the Newcastle man curled past Fabianski to complete an incredible comeback.

Gordon picked up a second booking in stoppage time for an act of petulance, but the Hammers were unable to profit from their late numerical advantage.

West Ham United return to Premier League action on Tuesday, April 2 when they take on Tottenham Hotspur at the London Stadium (8:15pm).

Newcastle United: Dúbravka, Livramento (Almirón 56′), (Barnes 67′), Lascelles (Capt) (Krafth 17′), (Hall 57′), Schär, Burn, Longstaff, Guimarães, Willock (Anderson 57′), Murphy, Gordon, Isak Subs not used: Karius (GK), Dummett, Ritchie, White

Booked: Gordon (foul), Isak (foul), Barnes (foul)

Sent-off: Gordon (time-wasting – second yellow card)

Goals: Isak 6′ (penalty), 77′ (penalty), Barnes 83′, 90′

West Ham United: Areola (Fabiański 46′), Coufal (Ings 90+3′), Mavropanos, Zouma (Capt), Emerson, Ward-Prowse (Johnson 83′), Souček, Paquetá, Kudus, Bowen, Antonio (Phillips 69′)

Subs not used: Cresswell, Ogbonna, Earthy, Cornet, Mubama

Booked: Souček (foul)

Goals: Antonio 21′, Kudus 45+10′, Bowen 48′

Referee: Rob Jones

Assistants: Ian Hussin and Wade Smith

Fourth Official: Darren Bond

VAR: David Coote

Assistant VAR: Eddie Smart

Brian Jeeves