Unlucky Colchester slip at Harrogate

Harrogate Town 1 Colchester United 0

Colchester United’s unbeaten run of four matches without defeat came to an abrupt end as Jack Muldoon’s fourth goal in four games saw Harrogate Town through to a 1-0 win in stoppage-time at the EnviroVent Stadium.

Former Rochdale and Lincoln City striker Muldoon’s scrambled 93rd minute winner extended the Sulphurites’ unbeaten league run to six games – equalling their best sequence as a Football League club.

Danny Cowley made one change from the side that drew 3-3 against Forest Green Rovers at the JobServe Community Stadium last weekend with Cameron McGeehan replacing Arthur Read, who missed out following a groin strain.

The U’s dominated the first half, with home keeper James Belshaw saving well from McGeehan and Noah Chilvers before Alistair Smith also had an excellent chance to put the Essex side one up – only to nod wide of the post from five yards out with the goal at his mercy.

After the break, Harry Anderson’s curling effort went close for Colchester and ex-Harrogate defender Connor Hall’s header was also just slightly off target.

Having posed little threat up until that point, Harrogate finally began to establish a foothold into the game with both Abraham Odoh and Muldoon forcing on-loan Crystal Palace keeper Owen Goodman into saves.

With the game drifting towards what looked to be an inevitable draw, Goodman failed to hold Matty Daly’s shot before Muldoon following up, pounced to force the ball over the line from close range to clinch the points for Harrogate.

Next up for Colchester United in Sky Bet League Two is the visit of Grimsby Town to the JobServe Community Stadium on Tuesday (7.45pm)

Harrogate Town: Belshaw, Abu, Thomson, Cornelius, Odoh, Daly, O’Connor, Muldoon, Dooley, Foulds, Gibson. Subs not used: Mitchell, Falkingham, Burrell, Sutton, Sivi, March, Bloxham.

Colchester United: Goodman, Iandolo, Hall, Chilvers (Wilkinson 76’), McGeehan (Jay 73’), Hopper (Akinde 73’), Anderson, Harbottle, Richardson, Smith, Fevrier (Mingi 70’) Subs not used: Hornby, Dallison, Edwards.

Referee: Tom Nield

Assistants: Mark Stevens, Matthew McGrath

Fourth Official: Matt Corlett

Attendance: 2,706