Wakering Blacks move into second spot as title race begins to hot up

Wakering Blacks moved into second place in the Essex Walking Football League Over 60s table after winning all three of their second-round matches at Melbourne Park, Chelmsford.

Wakering faced a Chelmsford City Clarets side including England skipper, Spencer Pratten in their opening fixture. However, slick passing coupled with a well-marshalled backline, including England trio, Mark Withers, John Burkett and Paul Pinch, ensured a valuable clean sheet.

England man Mark Withers (right) played his part in a strong defensive performance from Wakering

Wakering’s other England players, Andre Douglas and Paul Tregent provided dominant performances as the villagers created numerous opportunities. And it was Douglas who broke the deadlock with a well-placed strike to ensure a single-goal success.

Billericay Town found themselves on the wrong end of the result as Gary Jackson set up Tregent to net the only goal of the game.

Wakering could have won by a wider margin but for the sparkling form of the Town goalkeeper who made several vital saves.

In the final match of the round, Chelmsford City Blue was no match for a rampant Wakering side. Tregent netted four times, while Andrew Douglas bagged a brace to secure a 6-0 success, leaving the Blacks three points behind leaders Norwich City with a game in hand and a greater goal difference.

A mixed bag for Wakering Yellows

It was a mixed bag of results for Wakering Yellows in the second round of Essex Walking Football League fixtures.

Wakering battled resolutely to frustrate Norwich City. However, second-half goals handed the Canaries a 2-0 success to cement their place at the summit.

Coming up against Chelmsford City Blues, Wakering faired much better. A first-half hat-trick from Pete Sarfas ensured a 3-0 triumph and set them up for a tussle with Chelmsford’s Clarets team.

Pete Sarfas was amongst the goals for Wakering Yellows

A dramatic opening period saw Yellows goalkeeper, Brendan Still tipped a Clarets spot-kick onto the crossbar. Then, fierce strikes from Billy Horner and Sarfas gave Wakering a two-goal advantage.

A handling offence saw Chelmsford awarded another penalty which was netted by England man, Pratten setting up a frantic finale. However, the Yellows held on to secure a memorable victory by the odd goal in three.

Parringdon Pirates provided Wakering last opponents of the round.

Midfield maestro, Pino Schissano provided an exquisite finish to hand the Yellows an advantage. The Pirates restored parity but were denied maximum points by a brilliant save from gloveman Still, helping his side to a 1-1 draw.

Wakering 50s have six-appeal

Wakering 50s made comfortable progress in the National Cup by thrashing Chelmsford City by six unanswered goals in a match staged a Garon Park, Southend.

The villagers were always in control and led 4-0 at the break. The one-sided nature of the contest continued after the restart – Kevin Bantin grabbed four, while Dave Willis scored twice to send their side through to the next stage.

Dave Willis bagged a brace for Wakering during their 6-0 National Cup victory over Chelmsford City

Brian Jeeves

Email: [email protected]