Waltham Abbey man jailed for stalking former partner

A woman who was stalked by a former partner has spoken of her ordeal after he was jailed for four years.

Ian Wren bombarded her with phone calls and text messages after their relationship ended in August 2018 after ten years.

The 51-year-old followed her and turned up uninvited at her home and workplace. On one occasion he followed her around a supermarket in Brentwood and threatened to kill them both.

He ignored a letter she sent him telling him to stop and continued to send emails, messages and unwanted flowers.

A tracking device was also found on her car.

The victim said: “I had to be really, really strong to deal with this and it got worse but I knew I wouldn’t give in.  It took me years to leave him.

“Because it got so crazy I used to give in and go back to him so the madness would stop. 

“For years I did that, but this time I couldn’t. It had been ten years and I knew I couldn’t do that forever.”

She said Wren was “extremely persistent” and continued to cyber-stalk her even while he was under investigation.

Wren was arrested twice in September last year and again in November, but continued to contact her.

He failed to answer bail twice and police carried out a search to find him, including a public appeal for information.

Wren, of Stoney Bridge Drive, Waltham Abbey, was further arrested on January 7 this year and charged with Stalking involving fear of violence or serious alarm or distress.

He admitted the charge on Wednesday February 13, but sentencing was delayed until Friday December 20, when he was sentenced at Basildon Crown Court to four years in prison, with 101 days spent on electronic curfew taken off.

The judge also issued a restraining order for an indefinite period.

The victim said: “The police have been amazing, they did everything they were supposed to do and more. My family are also amazing, I am so lucky, they have been really supportive.”

Detective Inspector Karen Knibbs said: “Wren’s campaign of harassing and threatening behaviour has had a lasting impact on his victim and is nothing short of psychological abuse. 

“He continually ignored her pleas for him to stop, and carried on even when he was under police investigation.

“He had absolutely no regard for the effect he was having on her, and showed a blatant disregard for the law and the judicial system.

“I would ask anyone who believes they are a victim of stalking to please tell us so we can investigate.   

“There are a number of support agencies who can help if you are not willing to speak to police and I would urge you to seek help from these groups who can give the help and support needed.”

Some of the organisations that can help include:
Changing Pathways on 01268 729707


Mick Ferris

Editor Email: [email protected]