Two Waltham restaurants fall foul of hygiene standards

Two restaurants have been closed down by Waltham Forest Council last month following the discovery of pest infestations.

The first case involved environmental health officers attending Butt Kebabish Grill and Curry, 755 High Road, Leytonstone, on June 2 after a complaint.

The business was found to have an infestation of rodents throughout the premises with mouse droppings found on the floor, on shelving used for food storage, and in rice containers.

The officer reported: “Bags of rice had been gnawed and rice was spilling from the holes created. The premises were in a very poor state of cleanliness with dirt, grease and debris littering the floor in the servery and in the preparation kitchen.”

The business was formally closed by the officer as an imminent risk to health existed at the time of inspection. Thames Magistrates court granted a Hygiene Emergency Prohibition Order on June 9. The court awarded the council costs of £1,591.86. It has since reopened following a re-inspection.

In the second case officers were carrying out a routine inspection at the Dessert Inn, 534 Lea Bridge Road, on June 23.

Dead mouse and cockroaches found at the Dessert Inn

As well as an active mouse infestation, they also discovered a cockroach infestation and a lack of cleanliness throughout the premises.

A dead mouse and several cockroaches were found on a sticky board trap. The business was formally closed by at the time of the inspection. This was backed by Thames Magistrates Court which granted a Hygiene Emergency Prohibition Order at a hearing on June 21. The court awarded the council costs of £1,237.13.

Cllr Khevyn Limbajee, Waltham Forest’s Cabinet Member for Community Safety, said: “Anyone who runs a food premises should know by now, how seriously Waltham Forest Council takes food hygiene.

“Unfortunately, not all food business operators take hygiene matters seriously enough when preparing and cooking food for customers, as a result the Council will take formal action where the health of the public is put at risk due to a lack of food safety management and poor standards.”

Butt Kebabish has since reopened following a re-inspection having satisfied Waltham Forest’s Environmental Health Officers that the necessary improvements have been made.

Josh Mellor

Local Democracy Reporter