- Owner of historic Leyton pub faces battle over flats conversion - 20/11/2020
- Parents’ fury over Redbridge 11 plus exam ‘fiasco’ - 19/11/2020
- Fewer beds a concern for Whipps Cross campaigners - 19/11/2020
A takeaway in Walthamstow has been shut down by the council after a customer spotted live cockroaches on the floor.
On November 12, a court ordered Royal Chicken and Pizza in Walthamstow to pay Waltham Forest Council more than £1,000 in court costs and agreed it may not reopen until it no longer poses a health risk.
Council officers inspected the Hoe Street business on November 5 after a member of the public reported seeing cockroaches inside.
On finding the takeaway was indeed infested and unclean, they shut it down immediately.
Deputy leader Cllr Clyde Loakes said: “Time and time again, I see food businesses in dereliction of their duty in terms of food safety standards – and in the middle of a global pandemic, too.
“I want to underline that we will not tolerate any risk to residents’ health, now or ever.
“Businesses who serve food to the public have a duty to maintain the highest of standards of cleanliness or face the consequences.”
Thames Magistrates Court awarded the council a Hygiene Emergency Protection Order and granted full costs of £1,106.63.
In late October, the council shut down a Leytonstone Thai restaurant that was so unclean that photos from it reportedly sickened a judge (https://www.guardian-series.co.uk/news/18847021.leytonstone-restaurant-court-hygiene-sickened-judge/).
Residents can learn more about how the council enforces food hygiene here (https://www.walthamforest.gov.uk/content/food-safety-inspections-and-enforcement) or check the hygiene rating of the borough’s businesses here (https://ratings.food.gov.uk/authority-search-landing/en-GB/531).