Wasteful U’s are held by Saddlers

Colchester United v Walsall – Sky Bet League Two – JobServe Community Stadium – Report

Colchester United 2-2 Walsall

Colchester United had to settle for a share of the Sky Bet League Two spoils after passing up a series of decent second-half opportunities to see off Walsall in an entertaining encounter at the JobServe Community Stadium.

Having recently secured their league status, both sides played some decent open football which was warmly received by the larger than average 3,520-strong crowd.

Alan Judge saw his speculative low strike rebuffed by Saddlers defender, Manny Monthe. However, the U’s made the breakthrough when Freddie Sears reacted swiftly to rifle past Carl Rushworth after the Black Country outfit had made a complete hash of defending Judge’s dead-ball attempt.

Sam Hornby saved at the foot of an upright from Sam Perry as Walsall went in search of a swift response. Meanwhile, Sears was a fraction too high with a right-footed attempt from eighteen yards.

But Walsall always looked threatening. Brendan Kiernan collected some twenty-five yards from goal and returned with interest – Hornby left clutching thin air as the ball zipped into the net.

Hornby saved low to his left from Monthe, then palmed away from George Miller as Walsall looked to turn the game on its head before the interval.

Walsall only had to wait three minutes after the restart to take the lead. Hornby was unable to keep out Miller from close range, despite his frantic attempts – Kiernan the architect from the right. But the U’s were swiftly on terms. Donervan Daniels was adjudged to have fouled Brendan Wiredu by referee, Dean Whitestone – Sears squeezing the resulting spot-kick passed Rushworth. The keeper was perhaps disappointed after getting a big hand to the kick.

Monthe blasted over following a scramble in the U’s box, while substitute, John Akinde also fizzed over the top. Noah Chilvers missed a golden opportunity, sidefooting wide after wriggling clear on goal. Then Chilvers again was left scratching his head. Rushworth used his feet to save after the midfielder, once again, found himself clean through. Rushworth was again in the thick of the action, doing just enough to deny Sears a hat-trick.

The result saw Colchester slip to nineteenth place. They conclude their Sky Bet Two campaign on Saturday, May 7 when they face Hartlepool United at Victoria Park (3pm).

Colchester United: Hornby, Chambers, Smith (Capt), Wiredu, Hannant, Judge (Wright 81′), Sears, Chilvers, Kenlock (Coxe 43′), Tchamadeu, Huws (Akinde 46′) Subs not used: George (GK), Edwards, Eastman, Cracknell

Booked: None
Goals: Sears 24′, 56′ (penalty)

Walsall: Rushworth, Wright, Daniels, Monthe, Kiernan (Shaw 90+2′), Osadebe (Rodney 80′), Miller, Earing, Perry (Kinsella 60′), Menayese, Shade Subs not used: Leak, Devine

Booked: Monthe (foul)
Goals: Brendan Kiernan 39′, George Miller 48′

Referee: Dean Whitestone
Assistants: Adam Crysell and Lee Venamore
Fourth Official: Alan Young

Attendance: 3,520 (328 from Walsall)


Brian Jeeves

Email: [email protected]