Yellow Sport – Non-League Round-Up…

Dave Bishop
Latest posts by Dave Bishop (see all)

Vanarama National League

Southend United’s eleven-game unbeaten streak ended as Gateshead climbed off the bottom of the table following a deserved 3-1 victory at the Gateshead International Stadium.  

Wes Fonguck went close to giving Blues the lead early on when he chipped former Southend loanee keeper James Montgomery, only to see the ball hit the bar.  

After a goalless first half, Gateshead opened the scoring through Kamil Conteh in the fifty-second minute and with Southend finding it tough going against the Heed’s back five, Adam Campbell doubled the score twenty minutes later to effectively put the game out of Blues reach when he raced through on goal to slot the ball past Collin Andeng-Ngi.

Southend’s first-ever visit to Gateshead went from bad to worse when they went 3-0 down through substitute Conor Carty and although substitute Dan Mooney pulled one back with three minutes left, the damage had long been done with Blues well beaten on the day.  

Courtesy of Southend United Media, highlights from the Blues’ 3-1 defeat at Gateshead

Former Milton Keynes Dons striker Jay Bird, signed as a non-contract player earlier in the day, netted Dagenham & Redbridge’s late winner as they took the points against struggling Scunthorpe United at the Chigwell Construction Stadium.

Harry Phipps put Daggers into the lead when he headed home Miles Weston’s cross in the fourteenth minute only for Andrew Boyce’s low volley to level for the Iron seven minutes later.

With the game deadlocked and just five minutes left on the clock, substitute Bird got on the end of another pinpoint Weston cross to dramatically fire home from close range. The 2-1 victory saw Daggers move up to ninth place, just one point outside the play-off spots. 

Courtesy of Dagenham & Redbridge Media, highlights from the Daggers’ 2-1 win over Scunthorpe United


Isthmian League Premier Division

Elliott Sartorious scored struggling Bowers & Pitsea’s ninetieth-minute winner in their 2-1 victory over promotion contenders Aveley at the Len Salmon Stadium.  

George Sykes gave the Millers the lead shortly before the hour mark before Blaise Riley-Snow almost doubled their lead, only to be denied by the post.

Bowers themselves hit the post through Ayman El-Mogharbel and buoyed by this effort, they drew level in the seventy-seventh minute through Bola Dawodu.  

Their dramatic winner came with just seconds remaining when El-Mogharbel found Sartorious to fire home off the underside of the bar to begin a massive celebration for the Bowers players, officials and fans.  

Canvey Island and Carshalton United played out a 1-1 draw at the Movie Starr Stadium, a point that the Robins will be delighted to have earned after having had to play with ten men for the whole of the second half following Tom Beere’s sending off.

Beere had earlier given Carshalton the lead in the eleventh minute when he converted Leo Hamblin’s cross, but his afternoon ended when Joe Paxman equalised from Evans Kouassi’s cross on the stroke of half-time and he was shown the red card by the referee for his protests following the Canvey goal.  

Bradley Sach had a goal ruled out following an infringement near the end, but the visitors mounted a fine rear-guard action to close out the afternoon as the game finished all square.    

Haringey Borough were beaten 2-1 by Potters Bar Town after Kasim Aidoo netted twice in the second half for the visitors.  

Haringey pulled one back in the seventy-first minute when substitute Chaynie Burgin broke free and played in Tage Kennedy to slot past Potters Bar keeper Ted Collins, but the goal proved to be only a consolation for the Borough.  

Brightlingsea Regent played out a 1-1 draw with league leaders Hornchurch and despite having the better of the early chances, Sam Higgins put the Urchins ahead after twenty minutes before the dangerous Zack Littlejohn equalised for Regent shortly after the break. 

Both sides had chances to win but overall, a point apiece was a fair result for both sides.

Isthmian League North

Grays Athletic were beaten 3-2 at home by Hashtag United as Alex Teniola’s goal, his second of the match, won the game for the Tags deep into stoppage time.  

Teniola opened the scoring after twenty-one minutes before Aron Gordon equalised for Grays shortly after. Greg Halford’s penalty restored Hashtag’s lead before a twenty-yard effort from Callum Watts drew Grays level again in time added on, only for Teniola to hit the winner just seconds later.    

Great Wakering Rovers lost 2-1 at home to Bury Town in a feisty encounter at Burroughs Park. 

Cemal Ramadan fired the visitors into the lead in the fifth minute before Callum Boylan’s equaliser just before half-time. The second half saw five yellow cards, two goal-line clearances and Joe Hood’s winning goal for Town in the eighty-fifth minute.  

Despite taking an early lead through Scott Kemp, Maldon & Tiptree were swept aside 5-2 at home by New Salamis in a stunning fashion with Albert Adu Donyinah (2) Louis Lemie, Derek Asamoah & Taufee Skandari on target for the visitors. 

Roman Campbell pulled one back for the Jammers in stoppage time but by then the game had long been over as a contest.  

Coggeshall Town’s dismal season continued with a 4-2 home defeat by East Thurrock.  

The Rocks opened the scoring through Brian Moses in the fourteenth minute and Coggeshall equalised when Nathan Fuma picked up the ball from a long throw to strike home the equaliser.  

The Seed Growers took the lead just after the half-hour mark when Josh Hughes headed home Freddie King’s corner. Rocks drew level after Harry Hope converted from the spot before Moses scored his second and Oli Spooner sealed their win with a fourth in the seventy-ninth minute.

Hullbridge Sports were beaten 2-1 at home by promotion-chasing Felixstowe and Walton United, with Zak Brown and Samuel Ford on target for the visitors. Sonny Dutton scored what proved to be a consolation for Sports in the final minute of the game.

Despite going behind after only ten minutes to Ramiah Mills’ opener, Basildon United recovered to take the points with Callum Fitzer scoring twice in the Bees’ 2-1 away win at Witham Town. The victory takes Basildon up to thirteenth in the table.    

Essex Senior League

Leaders Enfield were beaten 2-1 by Stansted at the R&D Advisory Stadium with Billy Coyne and Robbie Farrell on target for the visitors. Adrian Greene scored Stansted’s goal.

Clapton defeated Buckhurst Hill 3-2 at Newham Leisure Centre with George Onwusony bagging a hat-trick for the Tons.

West Essex with goals from Mohammed Kaudeer, Oliseh Okuguni and Pascal Thornton saw them run out easy 3-0 winners at Little Oakley.

Joshua Boxall was on target as Ilford won 1-0 against Sawbridgeworth at Cricklefields Athletic Ground.

Romford won 3-1 against Halstead Town at Maysbrook Park with goals from Tambeson Eyong, Camilo Restrepo and Lewis Smith.

Second in the table, Redbridge triumphed 4-2 against bottom-of-the-table Southend Manor at Oakside Stadium with goals from James Barlow, Jack Chawner, Solomon Ogunwomoju and Reuben Sewell Campbell.

Saffron Walden Town and White Ensign shared the spoils in a 2-2 draw with Tom Head on target for Town and Harry Kateley and Charlie Portaway scoring for Ensign.

In the Friday night game, Barking won 3-1 away at Woodford Town with goals from Ahmed Mohamed Abdulla, Charlie Heatley and Isioma Richard. Jaedon Phillips netted for Woodford, who had Edward Allen sent off.

Elsewhere, Stanway Rovers drew 0-0 with Takeley.    

Prokit Essex Olympian League

Hutton enjoyed a comprehensive 3-0 win away at Shenfield Association with goals from Brad Freeman, Will Marlowe and Luke Ricketts.

Canning Town defeated Bishops Stortford Swifts 1-0 at the West Ham Community Ground.

Runwell won 4-2 at Kelvedon Hatch for whom Joseph Newson and Drew Kless-Smith were both on target.

Leigh Ramblers defeated Galleywood 4-0 at Belfairs Park with Scott Clark, Callum Morris, George Moxon and Andrew Webster were their scorers.