Yellow Sport Non-League Round-Up

Vanarama National League

Southend United were defeated 3-1 by Eastleigh, who completed a season double over the Blues, in a bruising encounter that saw referee Greg Rollason brandish eight yellow cards.

Following a fan protest against chairman Ron Martin before the game, Southend were outmuscled and outplayed by the Spitfires throughout and in truth, it was a very flat and uninspiring performance by the Blues.  

Two goalkeeping blunders by Stoke City loanee Blondy Nna gifted goals to Alfie Lloyd and JJ McKiernan and Charlie Carter also netted for Eastleigh. Harry Cardwell scored Southend’s goal. Blues remain in eighth place, one point outside the play-off spots.

Courtesy of Southend United Media, highlights from the Blues 3-1 defeat to Eastleigh

Ten-man Dagenham & Redbridge were beaten 2-0 at the Chigwell Construction Stadium, with Harry Phipps being shown a red card after bringing down Matt Worthington in the box with just half an hour played.

Former Dagger Jordan Maguire-Drew despatched the ensuing spot-kick past Elliot Justham.

A thirty-five-yard wonder strike ten minutes from time by Worthington sealed the win for the Glovers to ease their relegation worries. Despite the loss, Daggers remain just inside the play-offs in seventh spot. 

Courtesy of Dagenham & Redbridge Media, highlights from the Daggers 2-0 defeat to Yeovil Town

Vanarama National League South

Chelmsford City were defeated 1-0 in a scrappy game by Welling United at Melbourne Stadium, with substitute Taylor Maloney netting their winner from the spot just four minutes into the second half.

Tonbridge Angels and Braintree Town shared the points with a 0-0 draw at Longmead Stadium. An end to end, exciting encounter with good football being played by both sides, neither of whom was able to find a breakthrough. 

Despite taking the lead in only the fourth minute through Mo Bettamer, Concord Rangers were defeated 4-1 at leaders Ebbsfleet to remain in the relegation zone in twenty-second place. Rakish Bingham & Dominic Poleon both scored twice for the Fleet, who now stand six points clear at the top of the table.  

Pitching-In Isthmian League Premier Division

Aveley moves into second place after a 2-1 win at Hornchurch. 

Southend United loanee Oli Coker put the Millers into the lead with a spectacular twenty-five-yard free-kick just before the half-hour mark before Sam Higgins equalised from the spot in the fifth-seventh minute.

Manny Ogunrinde netted with just over twenty minutes left and the Aveley defence held firm thereafter to claim derby day bragging rights over their local rivals.  

Bowers & Pitsea won for the first time in five matches as they beat nine-man Potters Bar Town 2-0, who had keeper Dante Baptiste and Kasim Aidoo sent off. TQ Addy and Antony Papadopoulos both scored for Bowers.   

Haringey Borough enjoyed a fine 2-0 win over Hastings United with Georgios Aresti and debutant Ben Allen on target. 

Horsham extended their unbeaten run to seven games as they continued their play-off push with a 3-1 win over Billericay Town, with goals from Jack Brivio, Harvey Sparks and Daniel Ajakaiye. Marvin Ekpiteta netted the Blues’ consolation with just seven minutes left.

High-flying Bishop’s Stortford romped to a crushing 5-0 win at Kingstonian to move up to fourth – just a point off the top spot. 

Matthew Johnson, Anthony Church, Ryan Henshaw and David Olufemi (2 pens) scored for the Blues.

Canvey Island secured a dramatic 3-2 victory over Herne Bay, in a game that saw three players – Gull’s Elliott Ronto and Bay’s Mason Saunders-Henry & Jordan Perrin sent off.

Bradley Sach and Conor Hubble (from the penalty spot) put Canvey Island 2-0 up before the half-hour mark only for Rory Smith to pull one back for Herne Bay just before the break, with Kymani Thomas hitting an equaliser on seventy minutes.

Deep into stoppage time, Jamie Salmon’s volley secured all three points for Canvey and there was still time following the goal for Hubble to miss a second penalty for the Gulls at the end.

Courtesy of Canvey Island FC Media, Bradley Sachfires the Gulls ahead against Herne Bay at Park Lane

Relegation-threatened Brightlingsea Regent edged out in form Folkestone Invicta 3-2 at North Road with Zack Littlejohn heading home their winner with just two minutes left on the clock. Jason Richardson had put Regent into the lead in the forty-third minute, only for the visitors to quickly reply either side of half-time through Ibrahim Olutade and Ira Jackson to take a 2-1 lead.

With Suleyman Zuhdu equalising on the hour mark, the game looked to be heading for a draw before Littlejohn’s late winner scooped the three points for Regent.    

Pitching-In Isthmian League North

Despite dominating for most of the game, AFC Sudbury left it late at Grays Athletic with Joshua Stokes opening the scoring in the seventy-ninth minute before Nnamdi Nwachuku made it 2-0 in stoppage time to extend their lead at the top of the table to four points.

Despite having Harry Hansom and Greg Halford sent off, nine-man Hashtag United secured a fine 3-2 away victory at Wroxham to remain second in the table. Wroxham went in front early on through Harry Barker’s long-range effort, only for Max Cornhill to equalise less than sixty seconds after.

Tags took the lead just before half-time through Percy Kiangebeni, who then netted his second, this time from the penalty spot, to make it 3-1 just past the hour. Despite Ryan Miles netting near the end for the Yachtsmen, Hashtag held on easily to take the points.   

Heybridge Swifts’ 3-1 win condemned Hullbridge Sports to their fifth consecutive league defeat to move up to fourth place in the table. 

Callum Taylor, Ross Wall and Rob Harvey were on target for the visitors, with Sam Elwood scoring Sports’ consolation just before the end.

Peter Taylor’s Maldon & Tiptree won again, a 3-2 victory over East Thurrock, to pull even further away from the relegation zone. Terrell Egbri, Harry Phillips and Danny Nesbitt were the Jammers scorers with Joe Turpin (own goal) and Brian Moses netting for the Rocks.

Witham Town eased their relegation worries with a 1-0 home win against Bury Town with Jamahl Godward scoring the winner in the sixty-eighth minute. 

Despite Tilbury taking the lead after only five minutes through new signing James Ewington, the Dockers went down to a 3-1 defeat to Felixstowe & Walton at Chadfields, with Zak Brown, George Clarke and Callum Harrison netting for the visitors.

Stowmarket Town maintained their push for a play-off spot with a hard-earned 2-1 victory at Brentwood Town. Chris Casement put Stowmarket ahead just after the break with a deflected shot past keeper Melvin Minter. Bryan Ifeanyi equalised in the sixty-sixth minute only for Reginald Thompson-Lambe to net the winner for the Old Gold & Blacks just three minutes later.

Gorleston romped to a 4-2 away win against Great Wakering Rovers in their bottom-of-the-table clash at Burroughs Park.  

The Greens raced into a 2-0 lead through Connor Ingram and Ross Glifedder with only twenty-five minutes gone and although Jay Nash pulled one back shortly after the half-hour mark, George Keys and substitute Christy Finch made it 4-1 before Adayato Adedoja netted in stoppage time at the end for Rovers.

Bottom of the table Coggeshall Town won their first game of the season, beating Basildon United 2-1 in a tightly fought game at West Street. 

Basildon United substitute Callum Fitzer put the Bees ahead in the eighty-third minute only for George Frodsham to equalise just five minutes later. Deep into stoppage time, Josh Asude broke down the right to slot the ball past George Miller to secure the three points for the Seed Growers. 

Essex Senior League

Leaders Enfield, with goals from Gavin Cockman and Solomon Ofori, drew 2-2 with Halstead Town – Alfie Cleal and Joe Older netted for the Humbugs.

Tony Martin netted for Redbridge in their 1-0 win over Buckhurst Hill at Oakside.

Athletic Newham defeated FC Clacton 3-0 with goals from Joel Appiah (2) and Will Martin.

White Ensign won 3-2 at Little Oakley, with goals from Kian Bradshaw, Jake Chaplin and Emmanuel Abudior. Jack Sibbons and Harry Mann scoring for the Oaks.

Southend Manor went down 3-0 to Stanway Rovers, for whom James Crissell, Max Sherlock and Jack Clamplin were the scorers.

Charlie Cole (2) and George Powell were on target in Saffron Walden’s 3-1 win at Takeley, with the host’s goal coming from Jack Martin. 

Billy Coyne scored the winner for Stansted in their 1-0 victory over Sawbridgeworth Town.

Ilford v West Essex and Clapton v Barking, both finished as 0-0 draws.

In the Friday night fixture, goals from Alejandro Machado and Jaedon Phillips saw Woodford Town through to a 2-0 win over Romford.

Essex Olympian League

Second-place Rayleigh Town routed Bishop’s Stortford Swifts 8-0 at Concord Rangers with both Jack Long and George Vile both hitting hat-tricks. William Vile and substitute Lewis Robson were also on target for Town.

Table-topping Hutton romped to an impressive 5-1 win at Galleywood with Matthew Price (2) Connor Hammond, Luke Ricketts and Joshua Seal were their scorers. Ronnie Edwards netted for Galleywood.

Catholic United pulled off a 2-1 away win at Canning Town, with Joe O’Kane and Louie Hay their scorers.

Toby defeated Leigh Ramblers 2-0 at Nursery Sports Ground with Sonny Leeks scoring both of their goals.

Runwell Sports won 4-2 at Sungate with James Dalton (2) Owen Barrett and Gianni Frankis were their goal scorers.

Ben Absolon, Ben Carroll and Jack Maleary were all on target for Shenfield Association in their 3-0 victory at Springfield.

Old Southendian recorded a resounding 5-1 win over Kelvedon Hatch at Garon Park. Callum Ludlaim claimed the match ball for the home side, while substitute Joseph Newson netted a consolation goal for the visitors.