Yellow Sport Non-League Round-Up 

Brian Jeeves

Vanarama National League

With speculation rife amongst the fans that they could be witnessing the last ever game played at Roots Hall due to the continuing financial problems engulfing the club, Southend United put their off-field dramas to one side to record their fourth victory in succession, with seventeen-year-old Henry Sandat netting in the fifth minute in a 1-0 win over ten-man Gateshead, who had Aaron Martin sent off just after the half-hour mark.

Blues 1-0 Gateshead – Courtesy of SUFC Media

Scunthorpe United secured new boss Jimmy Dean his first victory in charge with a 3-2 victory over Dagenham & Redbridge as goals from debutant Ben Richards-Everton, Cameron Wilson & Liam Feeney saw the Irons through to their third win in a row.

Harry Phipps and Dean Rance were on target for the Daggers, who drop to eleventh place following the defeat. 

Scunthorpe United 3-2 Dagenham & Redbridge – Courtesy of DRFC Media

Vanarama National League South

Braintree Town maintained their unbeaten home record at Cressing Road this season with a 1-1 draw against second-place Dartford. 

The Iron took the lead when Aaron Blair’s shot somehow slid under keeper Ben Dudzinski and into the net before Jernade Meade equalised for Dartford just after the hour mark.

Tonbridge Angels and Concord Rangers shared the spoils in a 2-2 draw at Longmead Stadium. Devonte Aransibia nodded Angels into the lead after seventeen minutes before Mo Bettamer drew the Beachboys level just six minutes later.

Angels took the lead when Jordan Greenidge headed home Tariq Hinds’ cross only for Ricky Modeste to equalise for Concord shortly before the end.  

Dover Athletic and Chelmsford City played out the second 0-0 draw between themselves in the National League South this season. 

The point leaves the Clarets in eighth place and just outside the play-off spots on goal difference.  

Pitching-In Isthmian League Premier Division

Bishop’s Stortford Town remain top of the table following their 1-0 win at Bowers & Pitsea at the Len Salmon Stadium.  

Colchester United loanee Lordon Akolbire’s shot took a cruel deflection off Ryan Huckle to put the Blues into the lead just before the break. 

In a strange twist to the game, both Bowers management staff, James Collins and Brad Sandemann were shown red cards in the second half.     

Second place Aveley enjoyed a 2-0 win over Lewes with goals from George Sykes and Southend United loanee Oli Coker in an entertaining encounter at Parkside. Although they have played two games more, the victory leaves the Millers only two points behind Bishop Stortford at the top.  

Canvey Island maintained their play-off hopes with a comprehensive 3-0 win over Enfield Town at the Movie Starr Stadium with second-half goals from Joe Paxman, Bradley Sach and Rob Girdlestone. 

Brightlingsea Regent and Potters Bar Town played out an uninspiring 0-0 draw at North Road.

Billericay Town defeated Haringey Borough 3-1 at New Lodge with goals from Michael Chambers, Kareem Isiaka and Bradley Stevenson. 

Borough were awarded a penalty just before the hour mark and despite Harry Seaden saving Scott Durojaive’s initial effort, the kick was retaken when the referee adjudged Seaden had moved. 

This time Ben Allen made no mistake from the spot. Blues were awarded a penalty of their own near the end when John Ufuah was brought down in the box, only for Stevenson to see his shot well saved by the keeper. 

Pitching-In Isthmian League North

Hashtag United extended their winning run to sixteen games in a row to move to the top of the table after a 2-1 victory at New Salamis with goals from Toby Aromolaran and Maleace Asamoah.  

Max Cornhill netted for the Red-Whites, who had Junior Luke dismissed in the second half. 

A ninety-second-minute equaliser from Heybridge’s Rob Harvey secured a point in their 2-2 draw at Sudbury, a result that saw the Suds drop to second in the table.  

Nnamdi Nwachuku opened the scoring in the fifth minute before Ollie Brown’s own goal brought Swifts level. Ex Canvey Island man Harrison Chatting put Sudbury ahead again shortly after half-time and it looked as if they were on course for the points until Harvey’s dramatic late goal.

East Thurrock made it four games without defeat with a 1-0 victory over Bury Town with Alex Fernandez netting the winner just short of the hour mark at Rookery Hill. The result leaves the Rocks in eighth position, seven points outside the play-off spots.

Grays Athletic maintained their push towards the play-offs with a 2-1 win at Gorleston. Callum Leahey (2) was on target for Grays before Connor Ingram scored Town’s consolation deep into stoppage time.

Felixstowe & Walton United came from behind to beat Maldon & Tiptree 2-1 at the Wallace Binder Ground, with Josh Hitter scoring twice after Michael Finneran had put the Jammers ahead just after the half-hour mark.

Witham Town enjoyed a 2-1 win over Stowmarket Town at the Simarco Stadium with debutant Michael Bareck netting twice on his Town debut. 

Craig Parker scored for the Old Gold & Blacks. 

Third place Lowestoft Town defeated Tilbury Town 2-0 with Jake Reed and a Harry Donovan own goal giving them the three points at Chadfields.     

Wroxham made it six games without defeat as they came from behind to beat Hullbridge Sports 2-1 at Trafford Park.  

Jake Gordon put Sports into the lead ten minutes after the break only for Jack Robinson to equalise shortly after, before Ryan Curtis netted the Yachtsmen’s winner in the sixty-ninth minute.

The match between Coggeshall Town and Great Wakering Rovers was abandoned after eighty-nine minutes after Rovers’ Danny Cossington fell awkwardly and sustained a back injury. Josh Osude had headed Coggeshall into the lead just before the abandonment. 

Essex Senior League

Redbridge beat Barking 4-0 with goals from George Purcell (2) Tony Martin and Abs Thompson to move to the top of the table. 

Enfield dropped to second place as Richard Kone’s second-minute goal saw Athletic Newham take the points at the Newham Leisure Centre.

Dimitr Christou scored Woodford Town’s winner in the 1-0 defeat of FC Clacton at the Austin Arena.

Charlie Cole scored all four goals for Saffron Walden Town in their 4-2 win at White Ensign. Ethan Evison and Montel Shonubi netting for Ensign.

Bottom club Southend Manor recorded their second win in a week as they defeated Clapton 3-2 in a thriller at Southchurch Park. Yaya Cante, Diemar Queini and Kudus Oyenuga, who netted the winner deep into stoppage time were on target for Manor, whilst Victor Firini and Jermaine Baptiste scored for the Tons.

Stansted, who had Carl Conway sent off in the seventy-ninth minute, won 2-1 at Stanway Rovers with John Clarke netting the winner in the eighty-ninth minute. Andre Embalo scored Stansted’s other goal with Nathaniel Mardell being on target for Rovers.

George Wappitt and Freddie Burrell put Takeley 2-0 up within ten minutes and although Praise Ogebor pulled one back ten minutes from time, Takeley held firm to run out 2-1 winners over Romford at the Sirona Medical Arena.

Ilford and Halstead Town shared the spoils in a 1-1 draw at Cricklefields Athletics Ground, with Joe Lilly and Tom White the respective goal scorers. 

Ezequiel Franchi and substitute Cameron Gray were amongst the scorers in West Essex’s 3-0 win at Sawbridgeworth Town.

Buckhurst Hill and Little Oakley shared the points with a 2-2 draw. Both teams were reduced to ten men with William Halford (Buckhurst Hill) and Greg Rodger (Little Oakley) receiving their marching orders. Oliver Williams and Ezekiel Bademosi netted for the Stags and Rory Harman and Harry Mann for the Acorns. 

Essex Olympian League

Second-place Catholic United ran out 4-0 winners over Bishop’s Stortford Swifts with goals from Aaron Baldwin, Thomas Elliott, Louie Hay and Liam Oliver.

Ryan Lowe and Owen Reynolds were on target in Leigh Ramblers’ 2-0 win over Galleywood at Clark’s Field.

Old Southendian and table-topping Hutton shared a 0-0 draw at Garon Park.

George Vile’s hat-trick propelled Rayleigh Town to a 5-1 win over Canning Town at Concord Rangers. Harry Talbot and Jack Long were Town’s other goal scorers.

Springfield ran out 3-2 winners over ten-man Kelvedon Hatch, who saw James Nottage sent off at Springfield Hall Park. Wayne Semanshia and Charlie Bott netted for Hatch. 

James Dalton and Damian Siemienczuk were on target for Runwell Sports in their 2-1 win at Shenfield Association.

Toby won 3-0 at Sungate with goals from Callum Mann, Harry Barham and Dominic Poulley. 


Brian Jeeves