Yellow Sport Non-League Round-Up

Dave Bishop
Latest posts by Dave Bishop (see all)

Vanarama National League
Southend United dominated from the start against Oldham Athletic as Dan Mooney’s spectacular strike just before the half-hour mark proved to be the decider as the Shrimpers recorded their first win of the season.

The difference between the two sides was not reflected at all by the 1-0 scoreline however, as Wreh and Powell, both hit the post and several chances were squandered in a game that Southend won comfortably against the newly relegated Latics side, who rarely threatened and are still clearly struggling to adapt to their new National League surroundings.

Courtsey of Southend United media, highlights from the Blues 1-0 win over Oldham athletic at Roots Hall Stadium

Dagenham & Redbridge also won their first match of the season, beating Maidenhead United 1-0 at the Chigwell Construction Stadium after Paul McCullum slotted home Mo Sagaf’s low cross in the 28th minute.

McCullum had two further chances to extend the lead for Daryl McMahon’s men but as the Magpies pressed forward, Daggers were indebted to goalkeeper Elliott Justham, saving first from Adrian Clifton and then from Cole Kpekawa late in stoppage time to secure the three points.

Courtesy of Dagenham & Redbridge Media, highlights from the Daggers 1-0 win over Maidenhead United at the Chigwell Construction Stadium

Vanarama National League South
Despite Braintree Town taking the lead at Twerton Park after Levi Amantchi tapped home Alfie Matthews’ pass, two goals within a minute just before the hour mark by Alex Fletcher and Cody Cooke turned the game in Bath City’s favour before Cooke scored again in stoppage time from the penalty spot to seal a 3-1 win.

Chelmsford City continued their unbeaten start to the season against Weymouth with a fine 3-1 win at the Melbourne Stadium.

City’s early pressure paid off when Tom Blackwell fired past goalkeeper Billy Terrell. The Clarets scored again with just over half an hour gone when a deflected shot from Cameron James fell nicely for him to make it two.

Tom Blair pulled one back for Weymouth just after half-time, but Callum Jones scored his first goal for City with the final kick of the match to
round off the afternoon in style.

Concord Rangers crashed to a resounding 5-0 defeat at Oxford City after going three down before the half-hour mark.

Two on debut from Gerald Muchechetere, a further brace for Klaidi Lalos and Jean-Baptiste Fletcher on target for the Hoops.

Courtesy of Beach Boys TV, highlights from Concord Rangers’ 5-0 defeat at Oxford City

Isthmian League Premier Division
Bognor Regis Town produced a remarkable performance at league leaders Aveley as the home team were comprehensively beaten 6-1.

Odokonyero (2) Nzengo (own-goal) Dembele, Bridgman and
Olaniyan scored for the rampant Rocks, with George Sykes netting for Aveley.

Bognor Regis almost added a seventh near the end, but the margin of the win on the day was already more than enough for them to replace the Millers at the top of the table on goal difference.

Despite a goalless first half, Potters Bar Town ran out convincing 3-0 winners over Billericay Town at Parkfield.

Despite Town goalkeeper, Harry Seaden keeping the home team at bay early on, goals by Lewis Manor (2) and Finlay Titchmarch – all in the last half hour of the match – comprehensively secured the three points for the Scholars.

Courtest of BTFC Media, highlights from Billericay Town’e 3-0 defeat at Potters Bar Town

Lewes moved into second place as they beat Bishop’s Stortford 2-1 at the Dripping Pan, despite having centre-back, Will Salmon, sent off after he was adjudged to have brought down Stortford striker Frankie Merryfield.

A fine strike from Ronan Silva put Lewes 1-0 up before the break. Merryfield equalised when he fired home from across the box just after the hour.

Six minutes later, Razz Coleman De-Graft picked up a loose ball just outside the area to hit an unstoppable shot past Giddens. Stortford hit the post ten minutes from the end, but the ten men hung on to give the Rooks a memorable victory.

Bowers & Pitsea’s Duane Afori-Acheampong certainly had a debut to remember against Herne Bay.

He found the net early on after volleying home Bola Dawondu’s knockdown. The player then assisted a goal for Dawondu but was later red carded following a late tackle on Jack Parter a quarter of an hour from time.

Bowers’ ten men hung on for a 2-1 win despite Bay thinking they had been denied a clear penalty after Dexter Peter’s tackle on Kymani Thomas late in the game.

A single stoppage-time goal from Cray Wanderers substitute Billy Crook denied Canvey Island a point as the home side secured their first win of the season in a hard-fought game at Hayes Lane.

Brightlingsea Regent bounced back from their heavy defeat at Canvey Island in midweek to take their first three points of the season, seeing off Margate by the odd goal in three with Conner Barmby scoring both
of the North Essex sides’ goals.

Ben Greenhalgh scored straight from a corner to bring Margate back into it near the end, but the Regent defence stood firm to get their season up and running
Haringey Borough found themselves 2-0 down at home to Corinthian-Casuals after only sixteen minutes. And despite goals from Anthony Mendy and Alphanso Kennedy getting them back on level
terms, Borough will consider the 2-2 draw as points lost after Casuals keeper Sami Nabaad saved a penalty in the last minute.

Essex Olympian League
Only four clubs were in action in the Essex Olympian League on Saturday due to the FA Cup Preliminary Round.

Catholic United won 1-0 against Canning Town to maintain their 1one hundred per cent record. They remain top of the league.

Rayleigh Town thrashed Toby 4-0 to leave the visitors looking for their first point of the season, whilst Leigh Ramblers had an outstanding 3-2 away win at Old Southendian and Hutton won 1-0 against Kelvedon Hatch.