YellowSport Non-League Round Up – Saturday, August 13

Dave Bishop
Latest posts by Dave Bishop (see all)

Vanarama National League

Two goals before half-time by Reece Greggo-Cox and Rohan Ince were enough to secure the points for Woking against Dagenham & Redbridge in a lacklustre game at the Laithwaite Stadium.  

It was a disappointing performance by the Daggers, who are still looking for their first win of the season following their 2-2 draw v Gateshead last week.

Courtesy of Dagenham & Redbridge Media, highlights from the Daggers’ 2-0 defeat at Woking

A goal just after the hour mark by Chris Wreh was enough to secure a very good away point for Southend against last season’s Play-Off finalists Solihull Moors. The home side took the lead in the 12th minute when Andrew Dallas latched onto a pin-point pass by Callum Maycock to slide the ball past Steve Arnold.

Arnold’s save from Ryan Barnett just a few minutes later denied Moors a second goal and his opposite number, Louis Moulden also had to be at his best to deny Shrimpers debutant Jaden Crowhurst’s deflected effort shortly after as the game ended all square at Damson Park. 

Courtesy of Southend United Media, highlights from the Blues 1-1 draw at Solihull Moors

Vanarama National League South

Braintree Town were held to a 1-1 draw by the ten men of Havant & Waterlooville in an often-ill-tempered contest at Cressing Road.  

Following the early dismissal of Hawks centre forward James Prior, the visitors took the lead against the run of play just after the half-hour mark when James Roberts hit a superb curling shot past Jack Sims into the top right-hand corner.

The Iron found it difficult thereafter to break down Havant’s determined defence until Levi Amantchi’s equaliser in the 76th minute secured their first point of the season. 

Chelmsford City’s game at Chippenham Town was abandoned less than half an hour into the game as Chippenham’s Pablo Martinez collapsed in the centre circle and had to receive emergency treatment by paramedics on the scene.  

Concord Rangers continued their winning start to the season v Taunton Town. Skipper Ben Williamson scored the only goal of the game from the spot after MK Dons loanee, Lewis Johnson had been brought down by Town’s Jake Wannell.

Courtesy of Beach Boys TV, Concord Rangers boss, Chris Search, provides his thoughts on their single-goal success at Taunton Town

Isthmian League Premier Division

Aveley began their season in style with a top-class 2-1 win away at Hastings United with the winning goal coming in the final minute when Ryan Scott headed home.  

A mixed afternoon for Scott who was sent off shortly after in stoppage time for an off-the-ball incident.

Relegated Billericay Town marked their return to the Isthmian League with a 2-1 win over Cray Wanderers at New Lodge. Dan Bassett scored for Cray just a minute before the break before Chris Dickson equalised from the penalty spot. With just six minutes remaining, a superb individual strike from Alfie Cerulli sealed the points for Ricay. 

Bishop’s Stortford scored twice in six second-half minutes to come back from a goal down to beat Haringey Borough.  

Rakim Richards gave the visitors the lead on the half-hour mark before Frankie Merrifield and Ollie Peters turned it around for the Blues’ in the second half.

The result was never really in doubt for Bowers & Pitsea after they found themselves 2-0 down within three minutes against Corinthian-Casuals, who eventually ran out 4-1 winners. Samson Bellow scoring for Bowers. 

Canvey Island lost 3-1 at home to Horsham. With the visitors being 3-0 up just after half-time with goals from Daniel Ajakaiye (2) and Jack Mazzone, the result was never really in doubt. Evans Kouassi netted Canvey’s consolation.

Carshalton Athletic came from behind to beat Brightlingsea Regent 2-1 at the War Memorial Sports Ground.  

Luke Woodward opened the scoring for Regent in the seventh minute, but Tom Beere equalised from the spot ten minutes later for the Robins before Angel Smith-Joseph hit the winner shortly before the end.

Isthmian League North

The points were shared between Basildon United and Heybridge Swifts after Swifts grabbed an equaliser six minutes before the end through Ross Wall, which cancelled out Frederick Agyemang’s early goal for the Bees.

Callum Leahy’s headed equaliser in the third minute of stoppage time earned Brentwood Town a last gasp point at home to Felixstowe & Walton, who had taken the lead in the 76th minute through Joshua Hitter.

After having Jack McQueen sent off just before the twenty-minute mark, East Thurrock went down to a heavy 4-2 home defeat to AFC Sudbury with Darnell Kithambo and Amaree Robinson-Jones scoring for the Rocks.

Grays Athletic played out a 0-0 draw against a youthful Coggeshall Town side. Grays had a chance to take the points deep into stoppage time when Sam Bantick was presented with a great opportunity to score only to send the chance wide.

A disappointing afternoon for Great Wakering Rovers ended in a 3-0 loss at home against Lowestoft Town with goals from Jake Reed, Chris Henderson and Travis Cole.

Cemal Ramadan scored the winning goal for Bury Town in their 1-0-win over ten-man Hashtag United, who had Perry Klangebeni sent off just before half-time. 

Stowmarket Town dominated the game from start to finish against Hullbridge Sports. Despite a goalless first half, Stowmarket ran out comfortable 4-1 winners to go top of the league.

Alex Clark scored both goals in Tilbury’s 2-0 win at Maldon & Tiptree after the Jammers’ Laste Dombaxe was sent off just before the break.

Witham Town, who only managed one home victory during the whole of last season, recorded an impressive 4-1 win against Wroxham with goals from Adam Vyse, Ramiah Mills, Kieran Southgate and Arnold Menghi.

Essex Senior League

Enfield’s Louis Johnson scored a hat-trick in their 3-1 win at Clapton, but the biggest win of the day was West Essex’s 6-1 victory over West Essex, with Cameron Gray and Callum Bloss netting two apiece.

White Ensign beat Ilford 5-4 in a thriller at Cricklefields Athletic Ground. Ensign led 3-0 through Billy Bonham-Dare, Charlie Portway and Ethan Evison but Joe Little and Mitchell McCabe pulled two back before half-time.  

After Portway scored his second, Harry Rawlins and Caleb Mensah both scored for Ilford to make it 4-4 but Callum Morris snatched a late winner to claim three points for the visitors. 

There was late drama at Mayesbrook Park, where Miles Peterkin’s last-minute goal snatched the points for Redbridge in their 3-2 win against Romford.

Three games ended as 1-0 victories – for Clacton (v Stansted) Halstead Town (v Athletic Newham) and Sawbridgeworth Town (v Southend Manor)

Jordan Barnett and Ashley Colclough both scored in Stanway Rovers’ 2-0 win over Saffron Walden Town, Woodford Town won 2-1 at Takeley and Little Oakley and Barking finished as a goalless draw

Essex Olympian League

Catholic United went straight to the top of the league after their 5-1 win at Toby, whilst there were home wins for wins for Bishop’s Stortford Swifts (2-0 v Sungate) Canning Town (3-1 v Shenfield) Hutton (2-1 v Rayleigh Town) and Old Southendian (2-1 v Springfield)

Runwell Sports and Galleywood finished as a 1-1 draw.