#YellowSports Non-League Round-up

Vanarama National League South

Relegation-threatened Billericay Town and Chelmsford City played out a tense, goalless draw at New Lodge.

Jack Munns went close early on for the Blues, while Femi Akinwande and Kweku Lucan also passed up decent opportunities.

Simeon Jackson provided the Clarets best moment but poked wide with only Billericay keeper, Kweku Lucan to beat. Chez Isaac and Tom Blackwell also went close for the Clarets.

Billericay stay rooted to the bottom of the table, four points shy of Chelmsford in nineteenth. 

Billericay Town: Lovett; Chambers, Ekpiteta, Ekumah; Stevenson, Smile (Ochiang 78’), Wright, Wilson; Munns (Lucan 74’); Graham (Wabo 63’), Subs not used: Shamshoum, Ipanga Mbambo

Chelmsford City: Marsden; Norton, Oluwo, Winfield, James; Frimpong; Dunne (Gregory 83’), Isaac; Dada; Jackson, Blackwell Subs not used: Spillane, Hockey, Deslandes, Simpson

Courtesy of BTFC Media, Billericay Town manager, Jody Brown provides his thoughts on their goalless draw with Chelmsford City

Buildbase FA Trophy Third Round

Drama at Roots Hall Stadium where Southend United came from behind to beat Dorking Wanderers by the odd goal in three.

Alfie Rutherford fired Dorking into a fourth-minute lead and Southend’s problems deepened when top-scorer, Rhys Murphy sent his penalty attempt over the top.

However, Sam Dably restored parity five minutes before the interval, setting up a tremendous second half which saw Blues debutant goalkeeper, Collin Andeng Ndi save a Billy-Joe Taylor spot-kick before Matt Dennis rifled a spectacular winner.

Dagenham & Redbridge are also in the hat after edging past Truro City on penalties.

Substitute, Josh Walker handed Dagenham the lead. However, Rocky Neal’s equaliser sent the game to penalties. 

Daggers keeper, Elliot Justham then took centre stage, saving two of the hosts’ kicks, helping the East Londoners through 4-2 from the shootout.

Courtesy of Dagenham & Redbridge media, goalkeeper Elliott Justham provides his thoughts on the East Londoners penalty shootout win over Truro City

Pitching In Isthmian League Premier Division

Bowers & Pitsea picked up a useful victory on the road with second-half goals from Luca Albon (penalty) and Callum Leahy securing a 2-0 triumph at Leatherhead.

Struggling Brightlingsea Regent also snatched a vital away win. Zack Littlejohn’s goal seven minutes from time saw off hosts, Merstham and edged the North Essex side out of the bottom two.

Pitching In Isthmian League North

Canvey Island slipped from the top spot following a 2-0 defeat at Felixstowe & Walton United.

Charlie Warren and Sam Ford were on target for the home side. This was the Gulls third league defeat on the bounce.

Aveley are up to third following a resounding 4-1 win at Great Wakering Rovers. George Sykes fired the Millers ahead, but Samuel Jeremiah levelled from the penalty spot six minutes before the interval.

Alex Akrofi swiftly restored Aveley’s advantage before Manny Ogunrinde and another one from Sykes killed the contest.

Grays Athletic are in the play-off places but they left it late against ever-improving Basildon United at Parkside.

David Knight bagged a brace – one from the spot – in the final two minutes. Grays sit in fifth, the Bees fifteenth.

Hashtag United closed in on the play-off contenders with a 2-1 win over high-flying Dereham Town at the Len Salmon Stadium. First-half goals from Sam Bantick and Toby Aromolaran proved sufficient. Hashtag – who also had Bantick sent-off – are up to seventh.

Coggeshall Town followed up their stunning BBC Essex Senior Cup victory over Southend United at Roots Hall Stadium with a crushing 4-0 triumph at struggling Romford.

Jermain Francis scored twice for the Seedgrowers, while Alex Teniola and Aryton Coley completed the rout.

Heybridge Swifts and Barking shared eight goals in a thrilling clash at the Aspen Waite Arena. Daniel Walker, Karl Kayembe, Lionel Ainsworth and

Sam Carter scored for the home side. Charlie Heatley, George Okoye (2), and Kenedi Dariri responded for the East Londoners.

Elsewhere, the game between Tilbury and Witham Town at Chadfields ended in a goalless draw.

Essex Senior League

Walthamstow continued their relentless march towards the title with a 3-0 victory over local rivals, Ilford at the Cricklefield Stadium. Meanwhile, Stansted lost ground after they held to a 2-2 draw at West Essex. Stanway Rovers also missed an opportunity as they shared six goals with Athletic Newham. 

Plenty of goals elsewhere with White Ensign hitting five without reply past St Margaretsbury. Little Oakley and Saffron Walden Town both won by four unanswered goals against Southend Manor and Cockfosters respectively, while Clapton saw off struggling Sporting Bengal United 4-1 at the Newham Leisure Centre.

Sawbridgeworth Town eased to a 2-0 win over Hoddesdon Town, while Enfield won their Friday night fixture at Woodford Town by three goals to two.

Essex Olympian League

Division Two

Only two matches were played in the Essex Olympian League where Division two leaders, ACD United thrashed bottom of the table AS Rawreth by five goals to one.

Third-placed Wakebury were also amongst the goals, comfortably beating Harold Hill by six goals to two.


Brian Jeeves

Email: [email protected]